225s

That’s good to know and directly contradicts my recollection of what Carter said years ago. I’d bet that your version has the right of it. Maybe the truth changed or maybe Carter was given info by an optimist.

[quote=“Ranger” post=64612]
That’s good to know and directly contradicts my recollection of what Carter said years ago. I’d bet that your version has the right of it. Maybe the truth changed or maybe Carter was given info by an optimist.[/quote]
How about we’re both right? :wink: I believe the NASA HQ guys have been emboldened over the past several years by the success they’ve seen. I’m not saying that’s good or bad, just saying that on this topic they have chosen to maintain a strong allegiance with a sponsor/supplier that has been good to NASA.

[quote=“Steve D” post=64614][quote=“Ranger” post=64612]
That’s good to know and directly contradicts my recollection of what Carter said years ago. I’d bet that your version has the right of it. Maybe the truth changed or maybe Carter was given info by an optimist.[/quote]
How about we’re both right? :wink: I believe the NASA HQ guys have been emboldened over the past several years by the success they’ve seen. I’m not saying that’s good or bad, just saying that on this topic they have chosen to maintain a strong allegiance with a sponsor/supplier that has been good to NASA.[/quote]
Look you SOB, I’m tired of you contradicting me every time I turn around. You are F**king Wrong!

No. That’s not right. I mean I’m wrong. You are right. But about us being “both right”, you’re just F**king Wrong. WRONG, I tell you! Because I’m Wrong, so you are Right! So kiss my ass. I think. Or maybe thanks for clearing this up. Maybe. But probably kiss my ass.

There. That was about as Monty Pythonesque as I could make it on short notice. It’s funnier with British accents. But then, isn’t everything? I mean a Brit could hold a gun to your head and say “Ah’ve goot t’ kill you now guv’ner” and you’d still chuckle.

[quote=“Ranger” post=64615][quote=“Steve D” post=64614][quote=“Ranger” post=64612]
How about we’re both right? :wink: I believe the NASA HQ guys have been emboldened over the past several years by the success they’ve seen. I’m not saying that’s good or bad, just saying that on this topic they have chosen to maintain a strong allegiance with a sponsor/supplier that has been good to NASA.[/quote]
Look you SOB, I’m tired of you contradicting me every time I turn around. You are Fking Wrong! No. That’s not right. I mean I’m wrong. You are right. But about us being “both right”, you’re just Fking Wrong. WRONG, I tell you! Because I’m Wrong, so you are Right! So kiss my ass. I think. Or maybe thanks for clearing this up. Maybe. But probably kiss my ass.[/quote]

Funny

[quote=“Steve D” post=64603][quote=“Ranger” post=64557]
Carter told us 3-4yrs ago something along the lines of… if we as a community had a strong consensus re. switching to a specific tire that we could do it". I don’t recall what his exact words were but he definately gave us the impression that if SpecE30 wanted to leave Toyo, NASA wouldn’t stand in our way.[/quote]
SM in SCCA changed to Hoosiers this year. I lobbied hard (as SM Series Director in the Southeast) for NASA to allow us to run Hoosiers so we could maintain cross-over between SCCA and NASA.

The NASA powers-that-be made it crystal clear to Jim Pantas and in turn to me that Hoosiers would not happen. Ever. The best thing to do is keep learning the Toyos.

The collective knowledge base about setup and pressures for RA-1s would be lost with a move to Hoosiers. That’s fine for folks who own no tires and have no experience with them, but for most of the grid who have a couple sets of tires and a couple years of experience, a tire change is a big deal.

Moot point. But I’ll tell you that some front runners are shaving them. Yes. Shaving a molded tire. Purely to reduce rotating mass. Awesomeness.

PS - The DE instructor who got 200 autocrosses out of a set of tires? I’m pretty sure he doesn’t drive like a mid-pack SE30 driver. Apples and oranges, IMHO. I could get approximately 1500 autocrosses out of a set of basketweaves, but the grip would be sub-optimal unless I added tires to them. :laugh:[/quote]

and those shaved Hoosiers are not faster than the non shaved Hoosiers - and soon to be, if not already, deemed illegal by SCCA.

[quote=“philstireservice” post=64643]
and those shaved Hoosiers are not faster than the non shaved Hoosiers - and soon to be, if not already, deemed illegal by SCCA.[/quote]They are not faster due to grip or wear characteristics like a shaved RA1, but they are faster due to lower rotating mass.

And shaving is illegal but as a practical matter un-tech-able.

[quote=“Steve D” post=64647][quote=“philstireservice” post=64643]
and those shaved Hoosiers are not faster than the non shaved Hoosiers - and soon to be, if not already, deemed illegal by SCCA.[/quote]They are not faster due to grip or wear characteristics like a shaved RA1, but they are faster due to lower rotating mass.

And shaving is illegal but as a practical matter un-tech-able.[/quote]

Un-tech-able unless tires are presented ala World Challenge - I think it’s foolish to shave the Hoosiers - the minor weight savings in rotating mass is not worth the grip that goes away with less tread.

SM6’s get 8 heat cycles and then -----poof ! they are gone

Not too mention Hoosier DOES NOT WANT THE SM6 SHAVED…

I don’t disagree. Those are the same guys who shave RA1s to 1/32nd.

Hmmm. I ain’t never seen a SM6 with tread.:whistle:

Right, because “don’t have to shave 'em” is one of the main advantages The Purple Drug has over Toyo.

So what do they use when it rains now?

I would imagine they use Hoosier DOT wets.

Never even spoken to a person who runs SM (that runs up front) that shaves the Hoosiers. Those guys know the Hoosier reps and would never do this.

Never even spoken to a person who runs SM (that runs up front) that shaves the Hoosiers. Those guys know the Hoosier reps and would never do this.[/quote]

Hoosier wets are the tits. They defy physics!

Never even spoken to a person who runs SM (that runs up front) that shaves the Hoosiers. Those guys know the Hoosier reps and would never do this.[/quote]

Hoosier wets are the tits. They defy physics![/quote]

Not sure if SRS