Must Read: Toyo Tech Bulletin on Toyo RR Tires

Well, now you get into whether or not the tire has a faster deacy rate in terms of cycle loading or wear loading.

Toyo can answer that if they would.

Every time you heat them to operating temp, they get a touch harder. You know that.

Tire wear is different than heat cycles. They do work in conjunction, or I should say they do happen in conjunction, but they are different. You can have many heat cycles and still get good wear out of a tire.

[quote=“cosm3os” post=73202]FWIW, last weekend our guys were running a mix–Ryan and Rob’s have alot of cycles, mine had 6, Tiede had stickers, and we were all really close.[/quote]Kyle is right on here, our fastest guy had the most heat cycles (13-15?) on his and was running within 3 10ths of the fastest time he’s had on those tires the conditions were not near as fast as they were the previous time there at ABCC.

I had never driven on those tires before and found them to be as good as any tires I’ve used - note that I also followed the directions Toyo put out to the letter.

FWIW I had mine flipped on the rims halfway through the weekend at ACC. Two turned out to be corded after 18 heat cycles. They seemed slower on Sunday after the flip than before by at least 2 seconds. But inflation pressures were different and 2 of the tires were takeoffs from someone who didn’t like the seam. So it’s hard to compare apples. Two of them now have 20 cycles. I don’t think I’m going to get a full season out of a set.

Rob, don’t forget it was much hotter the second day. We were all slower.

the only reason I was faster is because I am still learning ABCC!

My results for the entire weekend show me nothing to go back on (tire temps, brake wear, fuel consumption, etc.) because all I did was improve my laps… Ryan had to point that out to me, and he’s right, next event is a do-over when it comes to data collection.

I’ve been driving on with my idea to use “retired” race tires as qual tires. I found at VIR last weekend that this idea does get me a 3rd weekend out of my race tires. The downside is that the old “retired” race tires go off pretty quickly so I only get 2-3 hot laps for qual. So as long as the 4th hot lap of qual, which is all we ever get, isn’t critical, I’m good to go.

With separate sets of practice, qual and race tires, I’m a tire changing mofo.

I am going to play devils advocate here:

How hard are you on tires?
How close are you to the pointy end of the grid?
Does “fast car, slow hands” ring true or false for you?

[quote=“kgobey” post=73285]I am going to play devils advocate here:

How hard are you on tires?
How close are you to the pointy end of the grid?
Does “fast car, slow hands” ring true or false for you?[/quote]
In a race car I’m pretty average. It’s not until I step out of the race car that the blaze of my innate superiority in all things blinds those within view.

Re. “fast car, slow hands”. Gee, let me go back to the notes I took in DE. I’m sure my instructor mentioned something about that.

Lol both perfect answers

17-20 heat cycles with tires being flipped on rims at about 7 cycles.

That would be about right based on most E30 drivers

I’m glad I got that set from you before I went there. I would have been totally screwed.

BTW, the lap times…

That afternoon, 78 degrees outside, decently hot track. Best I could do was a 1:51.0, and they corded that session.

Next morning with 1 heat cycle scrubs…1:48.8 Cool and about 71 degrees.

Race at 1pm = 1:49.4 fast lap, about 79 degrees.

So, it appears they are fastest right out of the box, appear to fall off gradually after about 10 cycles and cord around 17-20. Not a horrible thing, but it does mean if you need to win, buy stickers. This was something I thought they were trying to avoid?

are you checking tire temps with a pyrometer?

No, I have no way of doing that accurately.