Air Compressors

I’m in the middle of building a house for my SpecE30. So far I’ve got the foundation walls and thickened slab in for my lift (available to anyone who’s willing to let me pass on-track). I will also be indulging myself further with air tools. I’m ignorant about air compressors, however. Does anyone have any advice? Specifically:

-Oiled vs. oil-less?

-Basic capacity–would you recommend a portable type (3-4 gallons that could also be taken to the track) or a large wheeled unit, like 26 gallons, or a monster floor-mounted 60 gallon?

-Any recommendation about preferred manufacturers or brands to avoid?

-Any thoughs on tools and where to get them? I know Harbor Freight has some cheap stuff, but is it crap?

Thanks,
Sasha

Sasha:

I bought the 20 gal. vertical oiless from Sears and it works well, and can be taken to the track.

My air tools came form Northern Tool but I have bought a few cheapos from Harbor Freight for low-use work. The quality is decent.

Carter

Buy a GOOD impact wrench so you can get beaucoup torque if/when you need it

Compressor:
Biggest upright oiled you can afford for the garage. Two stage is better than one. They are FAR quieter and longer lasting than oilless (when was the last time you drove a car w/o oil?). You’ll be able to pass an oiled down to your kids. Pick up an air-pig or tiny little oilless for hauling to the track. I have an 80 gal upright single stage - it’ll paint a car (barely), run a die grinder/sander for a while, but complains doing all of them after a while. The air gets hot, water stays in suspension, and causes problems after about 30min.

Impact wrench:
Dont screw around. Buy an IR2130 or IR2135. There is ONE reason you HAVE to use an impact - to get a stuck nut off. Buy the one w/ the most "reverse" lb-ft impact avail. If you get a sissy one, you’ll need to buy a bigger one eventually. Trust me, been there, done that. Suck it up and do it right ONCE.
http://www.irtools.com/IS/category.asp-en-2844

Air chisel/ratchet/die grinder/etc:
HD/Harbor freight/Cambell Hausfield stuff works fine. The tool isn’t actually doing much work. Better tools (more $$$) will work better, but if you dont use them much its not worth it. The cheap stuff is almost disposeable for the price.

SMD

Oh, and before you install the compressor, go to HD and buy some NPT fittings (elbow, extension, and 1/4 turn ball valve) and install on the drain. You’ll be far more likely to drain the water regularly if you dont have to get on your hands and knees and fight off the spiders underneath the tank…

If you really want a nice solution, put a barbed fitting after the ball valve, and route thougha hole in the garage wall. Will spray the water out in the yard somewhere w/o needing a bucket.

SMD

I started with a Costco compressor and CH air tools. Wouldnt take off lug nuts, the compressor blew a seal in the middle of a big job. Bought a Sears 33 gal 6.3 cfm compressor and tossed the CH impact, bought a sears, made by IR. Buy quality and the most compressor you can afford. Air tools are you friend.

Funny… I’ve never had a problem with any of my chepo ch tools. Sure they’re cheap but I can’t think of the last time the impact didn’t have enough torque. The compressor is a 26gal horizontal single stage oil CH. Its been going strong for 6 years with just an annual oil change. As SMD says, if you run a cut off tool, media blaster (or other air hungry tool) the air gets hot and wet - but for ratchets & impacts its great.

If you’re in the building mode on your garage, I’ve put my compressor in a different room, behind an insulated wall - it really cuts down on the noise.

Gareth

smdubovsky wrote:

[quote]Oh, and before you install the compressor, go to HD and buy some NPT fittings (elbow, extension, and 1/4 turn ball valve) and install on the drain. You’ll be far more likely to drain the water regularly if you dont have to get on your hands and knees and fight off the spiders underneath the tank…

SMD[/quote]

Now that’s a good idea.

I’ll do it this weekend.

Thanks.

Carter

I agree with smdubovsky. Die grinders should be el cheapo because the cost of replacement is much less than the rebuild cost of a branded one, and lasts a similiar time.

I cannot over emphasize the importance of an in-line water trap. GET ONE! Especially if you live in the humid states. An automatic oiler is nice because you won’t forget to oil your tools. Just be sure to have an unoiled tap for airing tires.

I am an aircraft metalsmith and have apprenticed in a small machine shop.

If you use an inline oiler - mark the hoses & fittings well. You dont want to use ANYTHING thats ever had oil in it for painting.

SMD