Amusing Rule Book error

I’m sensing proofreading isn’t super high on the list when they send the rules out…

9.3.9.1. The Toyo RR or RA-1, size 205/50/15 must be used in qualifying and competition. Any tire brand/size may be used in practice or other non-competition sessions

9.3.9.5. Wheels shall be 14 by 6 inches, 14 by 6.5 inches, or 15 by 7 inches, and shall weigh a minimum of thirteen (13) pounds. Any brand, unless specified in these regulations, is allowed.

Now, I suppose you could use a 14" tire for practice, but why?

This is residual from the days when bottle caps and basket weaves were options and Toyo made a 14" RA-1.

There was an actual funny one in the BMWCCA SE30 rules last year. I think they fixed it for this year:

H. Tires and Wheels

1. Tire brand is free and is restricted to size 205/55/14 or 205/50/16.
  2. Wheels shall be 14 by 6 inches, 14 by 6.5 inches or 15 by 7 inches and shall weigh a minimum of thirteen (13) pounds.

16 inch tires on 15 inch wheels? I’d say the 14’s would be an advantage under these rules.

if you are a cheap bastard like me you don’t want to use your toyos RRs for practice :wink:

As I am a cheap bastard, as well, that is a fantastic point! I can use my bottle caps and 400 treadwear tires for practice and car control and use the RRs for the real work! B)

I would respectfully suggest that there is no reason on earth to practice a car with a 400 treadwear tire. You learn nothing about how the car is actually going to handle when pushed with a good tire. It doesn’t stop, it doesn’t turn, and it is a total plowhound.

As I am a cheap bastard, as well, that is a fantastic point! I can use my bottle caps and 400 treadwear tires for practice and car control and use the RRs for the real work! B)[/quote]
Here’s the way to do it. With RA1s you could get 3 weekends out of a set of tires before they become pretty uncompetitive. So after 3 weekends you just retire you tires to “practice and DE’s”. Your retired RA1s will more traction then street tires and they are essentially “free”.

Hopefully we’ll be able to get 3 weekends out of our RR’s. Will be a real bummer if they turn out to be 2 weekend tires.

The problem with turning laps on street tires is that they imprint into your brain turn entry speeds that are slow, especially in high speed turns where you usually need to cheat death in order to keep up. Then when you put on your race tires you find that you can’t make yourself go into fast turns as fast as the leaders.

The problem with turning laps on street tires is that they imprint into your brain turn entry speeds that are slow, especially in high speed turns where you usually need to cheat death in order to keep up. Then when you put on your race tires you find that you can’t make yourself go into fast turns as fast as the leaders.[/quote]

“Perfect practice makes perfect”

I guess the smilie didn’t indicate that I was joking about running the street tires on the car :side: