Broken Hood Release Cable

I’ve got two choices: never open the hood again, or fix my broken hood release cable. Although I know these cars are stout, I’m not confident enough to go with the former. :laugh: Bentley wasn’t helpful on how to get the hood open, but I found advice on-line that I stick a flat bladed screw driver into the latch mechanism behind the driver’s side grille and twist? I’m willing to run with this unless anyone has any additional insight.

Thanks,
Sasha

Ex36 wrote:

[quote]I’ve got two choices: never open the hood again, or fix my broken hood release cable. Although I know these cars are stout, I’m not confident enough to go with the former. :laugh: Bentley wasn’t helpful on how to get the hood open, but I found advice on-line that I stick a flat bladed screw driver into the latch mechanism behind the driver’s side grille and twist? I’m willing to run with this unless anyone has any additional insight.

Thanks,
Sasha[/quote]
That is the way Uh Huh Uh Huh
time for a new cable…it is worth it

I pulled my cable and went with a pair of Sparco hood pins. It makes things so much easier (and there’s no risk of snagging on the handle when getting out or in). I kept the rear latches and the stock hood spring.

The radiator support frame has two holes that are the perfect size and location to hold the pins – al you have to do is open the space for the pins in the hood.

I’d take pictures, but the car’s at the paint shop (woohoo!) :woohoo:

Gustave Stroes has the exact same installation as I do:

http://e30m3performance.com/installs/installs-3/hood-vent/index.htm

The screwdriver works for me. I don’t have a hood release cable anymore since the cage interfered with it.

Don’t be a nancy, get some hood pins.

JP

If you go the pins route…put a reminder on your dash to "Check The Pins"
I have seen several windshields and hoods ruined from hurry up itis and the pins were left out

I’m not sure about the hood pins–I’m reluctnat to damage my fine Bronzit finish. :ohmy:

Seriously, the hood pins strike me as cool, but a pain in the ass compared to the factory set-up. What are the advantages?

Sasha

Ex36 wrote:

[quote]I’m not sure about the hood pins–I’m reluctnat to damage my fine Bronzit finish. :ohmy:

Seriously, the hood pins strike me as cool, but a pain in the ass compared to the factory set-up. What are the advantages?

Sasha[/quote] Other than not having to fix the broken cable? Bling Factor?
You can lose some weight and reduce the probability the cable will break an an inopportune moment. I have a set but they are still in the parts box since I am too lazy to do it

I’ve had hood pins on other race cars and liked it. Thanks for the reminder.

And since our hoods open backward, a severe "wap" on the windshield isn’t possible…but it is on a Civic.

Don’t ask.

Carter :angry:

Ex36 wrote:

[quote]Seriously, the hood pins strike me as cool, but a pain in the ass compared to the factory set-up. What are the advantages?
[/quote]

If you’re belted-in, HANS on, net up, you don’t have to unfasten everything to be able to pop the hood, if need be. (My cruise control cable finally gave out while trying to get on grid at VIR and Dan Eams was nice enough to offer to disconnect it, but since I couldn’t reach the handle with all the gear on, so his offer was moot and I lost about 5 minutes of session time.)

Plus you don’t have to worry about snagging the hood lever while getting out/in and you don’t have to contort yourself around X-bars, etc to pop the hood.

Carter wrote:

[quote]And since our hoods open backward, a severe "wap" on the windshield isn’t possible…but it is on a Civic.

Carter :angry:[/quote]
What in the holy Hannah was I thinking…

Or you can do what I did, and attach a wire to the release latch and run it out between the grill and the hood on the driver’s side. I made a loop in the wire and wrapped it with electrician’s tape so you can yank it with your hand. Quicker and cheaper than hood pins.

I’ve gone with the hood pins.

The accessibility with the hood off is worth it IMO