building a 325e for LeMons, then SpecE30 - many ?s

Had a few questions about the durability things you guys many have run into, and some car prep questions

1.) how well does the power steering typically hold up on these cars?
2.) what is the favorite long-lasting, good performance brake pad?
3.) is there a good cage kit out there for these cars?
4.) any durability hints/tips/tricks you may wish to share?
5.) has anyone done a “feeder” tank between the two fuel pumps for these cars to help fight the “fuel starvation” issue at half tank & below?

and the big one:
6.) post LeMons if the car is still good, what am I looking at in terms of swapping “E” stuff for “IS” stuff to be SpecE30 legal?

THANKS!! :woohoo:

kbrew8991 wrote:

[quote]Had a few questions about the durability things you guys many have run into, and some car prep questions

1.) how well does the power steering typically hold up on these cars?[/quote]
Get rid of power steering. It kills the feel of the car. You really don’t need it at speed either, even in a long enduro.

[quote]
2.) what is the favorite long-lasting, good performance brake pad?[/quote]
Call up Bimmerworld and tell them you need a pad for lemons - I think the hot pad used to be Hawk, but is now Performance Friction. They sold us some Performance Frictions for the CMP Lemons that rocked hard. A lot of lemons cars run crap brakes, so having solid pads is a huge advantage.

[quote]
3.) is there a good cage kit out there for these cars?[/quote]
I think that Autopower sells a cheap one. BeerWreck would know better though - they love that cheap sh1t.

[quote]

4.) any durability hints/tips/tricks you may wish to share?[/quote]
Yeah, get an “i” car - seriously, or look into finding an i head and going with the super-eta setup - just don’t leave any signs that the judges can tell it’s got power. Don’t powerwash the motor either - keep it all dirty.
Beerwreck and malt liquor tech brought an “e” car and we passed them at will. It hurt to watch them drive, because they were so slow. Had been done a better job hiding our power, we would have rocked it. For the race, keep your nose clean. Sandbag hard if you have to - don’t touch anyone. We served penalties for GETTING hit…total BS, but whatever, it’s all for fun :slight_smile:

[quote]
5.) has anyone done a “feeder” tank between the two fuel pumps for these cars to help fight the “fuel starvation” issue at half tank & below?[/quote]
The hot setup is really to run a dual pump setup, but you honestly don’t need it for Lemons. THe tracks are cut short, and it will likely be slower than you expect. We estimated that each driver could run a 3+ hour stint without refueling cuz the speeds were so much lower and the mileage that much better. Compare with about 1.25 hours in a “real” endurance race…unless you have the bigger tank.

[quote]and the big one:
6.) post LeMons if the car is still good, what am I looking at in terms of swapping “E” stuff for “IS” stuff to be SpecE30 legal?[/quote]
Ooof - I would suggest going into Lemons expecting the car to get crushed. Cheat your ass off (hide any power you’ve got) and if you have any parts leftover after Lemons, use them as spares for a true Spec E30 build.

Good luck!
-Vic

^ very good info, but if I remember his car was crushed during the lemons race.

I’m going to be driving a '90 325i in LeMons this December.

1. Drop power steering
  2. I’m running the Performance Friction PF06 pads, they’ve got some bimmerworld propaganda about wearing very little in an enduro, but still stopping well.
  3. Autopower has one. I’m probably not going that route.
  4. Replace the standard wear stuff and stuff that might fail. we replaced motor mounts, plugs, control arm bushings, etc. I also got some used springs and shocks for a cheapie suspension revamp.
  5. I’m not going this far… it is just LeMons
  6. motor, diff, etc … have fun

87isMan wrote:

and HOW!

http://www.salazar-racing.com/lemons/

Contact jp@beertechracing.com he may have a cage for sale…

the car:

We’re fully expecting the car will be written off - the last part was more of an intellectual exercise than anything, but with the way the last Houston one ran I think its not out of the question for the car to survive just fine. It was very cleanly run…

thanks for the tips!! :woohoo:

Our cage is not for sale. We’re putting it into our next Lemons car.

And for the record, we were running a 318is and were rocking Team Saladbar on fuel strategy until Steve D’s boy put us out of the lead.

Vic forgets to mention that he had a 20 or 30 lap penalty.

JP

Um…who was the highest finishing german car???

MALT LIQUOR TECH BITCHES, 5th OA

woulda, coulda, shoulda, WHATEVER…

take the e, keep your nose clean, THE ABSOLUTE KEY TO LEMONS IS EACH DRIVER RUN THE TANK DRY…that is the secret.

Al

FARTBREF wrote:

[quote]Um…who was the highest finishing german car???

MALT LIQUOR TECH BITCHES, 5th OA

woulda, coulda, shoulda, WHATEVER…

take the e, keep your nose clean, THE ABSOLUTE KEY TO LEMONS IS EACH DRIVER RUN THE TANK DRY…that is the secret.

Al[/quote]

BLT and beerweck were so slow that they looked like they were running the race backwards…made my racer’s heart cry. Don’t listen to anything they say unless you want to end up on the cover of “Molasses” quarterly.

Salazar FTW!!!

Yeah, get an “i” car - seriously, or look into finding an i head and going with the super-eta setup - just don’t leave any signs that the judges can tell it’s got power.
[/quote]

Does this combo really make power worth the work to convert it? The factory put the “i” head on the '88 528e long stroke motor and made four more horsepower. However, it did raise the redline to 5200 from 4500. Anyone got any real world experience with this conversion?

155MPH wrote:

Since the 6 month statute of limitations for on-track muggings has run out, I uploaded the video of the contact with BeerTech. I am truly sorry and have apologized to the guys for this.

But I still laugh my ass off in that schadenfreude way every time I see the impact.:laugh:

http://www.vimeo.com/3380326

Steve D.