Factory Repair Manual

I have searched and came up empty-handed.

Can you guys point me to a source for the factory repair manual (not Bentley’s, but the genuine factory publication that the rules reference)? I’d take either print or CD, but I am looking for the complete, genuine article.

I’m familiar with the one at http://ee1394.com/bmw/docs/factory/repair/en/index1.htm but it doesn’t appear to contain ALL the specifications like valve clearance, bolt torques, etc. Not to mention the fact that it’s kinda tough to flip through while sitting under the car.:laugh:

Thanks!

Steve D.

I am not sure you will find one. The Bentley is what IT guys use for SCCA. I think I remember James Clay writing in to SCCA for at least the E36 to get that approved. Everything I ever needed was in the Bentley and the factory ETM.

Michael

Sooooo…

The rules state in various places that things have to conform to “factory specifications” or modified as allowed in the “Factory Service Manual or Factory Technical Bulletins.”

I am at a bit of a loss to understand how to build a well-prepared, fully-legal car if the rules point to a publication that is not widely available to the builders.

What do you guys do to deal with this problem?

Steve D.

Steve, we purchase junkyard engines and dyno test them to make sure that we’re in the HP range of everyone else. Then we build the car and find out how much talent we do or do not have based on the “Skeen Factor”.

We no longer kid ourselves…Skeen is professional grade.

The recent Grassroots article on the pro vs. the joe was a great one. Likewise we’ve had the good fortune of pro racers Clay and Thomas to drive our cars and show us the potential of the vehicle.

All of the specs I’ve needed were in the Bentley book. If you’ve got questions about engine or car build the guys in your area can certainly help as we’ve been there and done that.

Try the Factory 3 guy who is also in Atlanta.770-350-2382 or call and I’ll try and steer you in the right direction 770-886-2500.

Regards, Robert Patton

either the r3vlimited or e30tech message boards had a link to the factory service manual in pdf format for download. i can’t remember which, but search their forums and you’ll find it.

Update - Pelican has a part number in their system that is supposed to be the full factory repair manual in CD form (01900032620-BOE). I’ll keep you guys posted*.

Steve D.

*But I’m not sure why since I seem to be the only one who cares to have the manual that the rules reference.:blink: :laugh:

Just heard back from Pelican. The factory manual on CD is “No Longer Available.”

The search continues…

Steve D.

Steve D wrote:

[quote]
*But I’m not sure why since I seem to be the only one who cares to have the manual that the rules reference.:blink: :laugh:[/quote]

Welcome to Spec E30…keep it simple is the mindset. I don’t think anyone has truely “explored” the ruleset to its fullest yet.

Good luck on being the first.

JP
Too cheap to push the limits.

I think I downloaded my version from one of these sites…

http://orac.e30nz.com/bmw-e30-repair-manual-v7.pdf
http://www.e30nz.com/home/downloads.php?cat_id=1
http://media.savarturbo.se/~mattias/bmw-e30-repair-manual-v7.pdf

Thanks for the welcome, JP. I plan on combining mid-pack talent with mid-pack sweat/money to get solidly mid-pack results.:blink:

I have no interest in building a to-the-limits, “tech shed legal” car.

Some people will assume that’s BS. Some won’t. Some will wait to meet me before making that decision. Some won’t.

Steve D.

PS - According to the rules as I have read them, a transmission swap is not legal. An engine swap? Yes - specifically called out as legal. Tranny swap? Nope. Do I think it’s generally accepted as legal? Yes. Am I doing it? Yes.:wink:

According to the rules as I have read them, a transmission swap is not legal. An engine swap? Yes - specifically called out as legal. Tranny swap? Nope. Do I think it’s generally accepted as legal? Yes. Am I doing it? Yes.:wink:

Interesting catch to the ever evolving rule book. You may as well disqualify all of us racers 'cause I doubt that anyone has a VIN-matching gearbox.

For the most part the rules are simple. Good luck building the car.

Regards, Robert Patton

Thanks, Robert.

I’m sure you are legal because I’m sure the factory manual says it’s OK to replace a manual transmission with another manual transmission. I bet you’ll sleep much better tonight now that you have my opinion! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Steve D.

Patton wrote:

raises hand I do for now…

I have the pdf version of the manual if you need me to upload it somewhere to be able to download it (107MB )
thanks,
bruce

Check out SpecE30.com, click on “Links”, then click on “E30 Resources”.

You can still buy a paper version of the E30 shop manual, albeit at quite some expense.

Here is some of the info from my e-mail communication with alex@books4cars.com

books4cars.com.

We have the following Factory Shop Manual for your BMW E30 325:

84-90 BMW 3 Series E30 M3 325 318 Shop Service Repair Manual by BMW for all variation of E30 3-Series Factory E30 service manual covering all variations including M3 325ix 325iS 325e 318 318i 318iS and more $189.95

Age wrote:

Thanks, Age. I’ve looked at that website and it has been helpful, but I don’t think it contains the entire manual. I’m more of a flip-through-the-book guy, so I took a stab at the manual offered by books4cars.com. Thanks Tomzzy.

I’ll let you guys know if it as complete and legible as I hope!

Steve D.

You might also want to check out e-bay*, I saw one there yesterday for like $17.

**no affiliation just passing along info