Finally- A thread for my car!

It was definitely a huge amount of fun, and great that I was able to learn a lot.

It’s unfortunate, in this scenario, because the blue sedan behind my car already has an M50 in it, so he’s out… haha.

But the gold car could potentially turn SE30 if the guy decides to remove his TCKline suspension and do SE30 gear. And the last guy, scott (with the flashlight), said he wants to go to all of the races- I’m sure he’ll get sucked in real fast.

where is the “like” button

Good stuff, man. My build went a bit differently after the receipt of the large pile of awesome parts. It was weeks of me thrashing around under the car by myself after work. Not complaining, as I still loved the process.

Alright, here is my plan as of now:

• Get rear sway bar installed, do a coolant flush and engine oil change. Install stock DME/ECU.
  • Get a 4pt Bar + SeatBackBrace (for drivers side) + a 6pt harness, and other interior safety items (kill switch for int/ext, fire extinguisher, window nets).
  • Do the ButtonWillow event on April 9/10th in HPDE form
  • Driving Concepts Competition School on May 20/21 @ Willow Springs
  • Get Provisional License, drive down to MOM and get a Logbook and official Tech Inspection
  • Order the SE30 tires, mount on my 14" weaves
  • TRY REAL REAL REAL REAL REAL hard to get all my driver safety gear in order (this will be big $, unless I find a deal somewhere with everything)
  • Do my first race in June @ ButtonWillow!

How’s that for a timeline? Any suggestions for getting this done more efficiently, smoothly, safely?

I just read the email about MOM getting a line of safety gear in, I may go through them for all that. I have a helmet, but I think I’ll be getting a new one so there are no regulation issues (plus I want what The Stig has, haha).

Also, does anyone recommend a place to get the RA-1 tires?

I get my tires a philstireservice.com; Toyo may have discontinued the 14" RA1. You should check into this with Phil or you might need some 15" wheels.

Thanks!

Looking at Phil’s shop online right now, and it looks like the 14" is discontinued. Looks like I’ll have to get me some 15" wheels too.

as far as saftey gear goes, i know there are chump/lemons car packages out there as far as driver gear. its pretty cheap minus the hans. just a thought unless youve already looked down that road

Do you know where I could see/buy those driver gear packages?

http://store.24hoursoflemons.com/

Sweet! I may get my driver gear through that store, and get a helmet from SafeRacer.

It looks like my Sparco Rev seats are FIA certified, need to pull them out of storage and check the rating and dates on them, but I think they are good to go.

Need to get a 6pt cage + window nets too… still haven’t figured out how I am going to tackle that one.

the car is starting to bug me! gahh

anyways, it needs a new steering rack, ignition coil, and some other bits around the engine bay.

starting to aggravate me. I guess when I finally thought I found a seller that I could trust- NOPE.

this car definitely needs more work than anticipated, so I’m not sure if I can make my goal of racing by June 1st.

However, I will definitely be out there soon in HPDE form.

Big annoyance:

allen-head bolt on the top of the shock (where you screw on the main shock nut) is stripped and I don’t think the bolt on all the way. Both bolts are most likely stripped from the impact gun and they haven’t even made it past the nylock… one side is nice and snug(and tight) but the other just keeps spinning…

weird though, because there hasn’t been any knocking from the front… still trying to gauge how I want to tackle this.

I may order new shock nuts, and vice grip the shock-rod then put on the new nuts… so ANNOYING.

Welcome to the world of old ass cars :slight_smile:

You’re tellin’ me!

This is my 5th E30, and I still find surprises, ha!

I keep finding more BS from the PO that is just slowing down the build. No way will I meet my June 1st race-day quota.

Sorry guys, but this SE30 build will be put on hold for a while until I manage to either find some space to work on the car for the next year or a huge bundle of money.

:frowning:

Still shooting to do NASA HPDE’s (in addition to speedventure events) and support the races however I can!

Alrighty- since I’m clearly not going to make my original deadline (April Fools Day), I’m shooting for a safe June 1st.

Finding lots of little bits that need attention, hence the delay. I was going to sign up for the HPDE on the 9/10 but that $ needs to go towards a new steering rack.

Right now, my biggest pickle is the cage situation. A proper 6pt cage is out of my budget right now, so I am going to attempt a 4pt bolt in.

My question: where can I get the proper window netting and driver’s-right netting for non-caged cars? I seem to find bits and pieces around, but haven’t found any good info/sites on kits etc…

Any info for that would be great.

This weekend I’ll be pulling the AC and possibly trunk tar (maybe) and need to get the rear sway in soon. Also installing the non-rubber bimmerworld sway bar endlinks in the front.

That’s it!

Dan