Help on finding a motor.

It looks like I’ve pretty well blasted my motor and I think I’m just going to get a “new” one rather than bother with a rebuild. Anyone had luck getting a motor in Northern NJ or there abouts?

Any hints to follow when shopping around. I assume a compression test is pretty mandatory, but not sure how to pull that off if the motor has already been removed from the car.

When shopping, can I get use a motor that had an automatic on it and just us my transmission? Is that going to be a huge pain to deal with?

For pre-work before getting the motor, I assume I pull the old motor and transmission from the car. Sound like I should throw in a new guibo if it looks bad. Any other changes I should do while I’m on the way out or in? Motor mounts seems like a decent idea.

Any help appreciated,

Adam

Can’t do a compression test with the motor out but you can do a leakdown test, which is a better test anyhow. See my website for a detailed how to.

Auto tranny motors are good finds because the average auto motor lived an easier life. Swap out the flywheel and you’re good to go.

With the motor out, figure out what heater hoses you can remove. The hose behind the head is a good example. Block off the port behind the head (and at thermostat cluster) and you’ll have more room back there to screw with the motor-tranny bolts.

If your guibo is old, might as well replace it. Is a good time to check the condition of your clutch.

Install of the clutch is easier with clutch alignment tool.

Removal of motor and tranny as a unit is the easier route, but you’ll need some serious jackstands to safely get the car high enough. Pull radiator for clearance.

Be emotionally prepared to refresh the head…judge it’s health with the leakdown test.

Installing a crank scraper is a lot easier with the motor out and inverted.

Maybe this will be helpful to find an engine: www.car-part.com
What really sucks is there were two E30s (one ix) turned in for cash for clunkers at my local Honda dealer. I even know which yard they are going to, but of course the engines are toast.
:S

Where are you in the NE? I have a motor, Philly area and its from an auto car…

thanks for the hints. I found a parts car that already been fairly picked over, but still had motor and trans on craigslist for $400. Its sitting in the garage now and I’ll run a leak down test on it this week to see if the engine is swapping in.

I’m also now a good source for white body panels. Most on this shell look pretty good.

Adam

steidley wrote:

[quote]thanks for the hints. I found a parts car that already been fairly picked over, but still had motor and trans on craigslist for $400. Its sitting in the garage now and I’ll run a leak down test on it this week to see if the engine is swapping in.

I’m also now a good source for white body panels. Most on this shell look pretty good.

Adam[/quote]

I am looking for a set of fenders…

sorry, no fenders.