How do I clean "crap" off of aluminum wheels?

I have two sets of aluminum wheels both of which look like crap and have what looks like brake pad residue all over them although it may just be burnt up paint. Anyways, how do I clean them up? Can I just use aircraft cleaner?

Bonus question: Is there any sort of high temp spray paint that I can use to paint them?

Thanks.

I’d like to know the clever way to clean dirty nasty wheels too. I think the Koenig’s have some lacquer coating on them and my other wheels have some coating on them that looks anodized.

Rustoleum makes a line of spray paint they market towards painting wheels. I got some yesterday at the local autoparts store when I was looking for colors for New #6.

Brake stuff caked onto Aluminum wheels is nigh on impossible to remove… Have them refinished, or take a wire wheel to them and refinish them yourself.

that’s what we use:
http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/wheels-and-tyres/meguiars-wheel-brightner/prod_325.html
and acetone to remove tar and gums but quickly rince after.

the other product I could not remember was Bilt Hamber Surfex HD

You could probably take them to an engine shop and have them blasted with walnut shells, plastic beads, baking soda or whatever they recommend.

Uuhh it is a race car, why would you care? My wheels get cleaned when I drive the car in the rain, which is also when it gets washed.

Because they look absolutely terrible.

The last time I checked, you can’t see the wheels when in the driver’s seat. Therefore it doesn’t matter.

If you really want to do something about the wheels, have them media blasted down to clean metal. Then paint them flat black and you won’t see brake dust on them again.