Looking for a chassis

Hello all, I am still super interested in getting to the track. It is taking way longer than I wanted it to. I have accumulated a few parts, bushings, camber plates, and a few other bits and pieces, however I am missing a rather important bit, a suitable chassis. I have a car now but it is way too rusty and will fall apart after half a lap. Does anyone in the midwest have or know of a car for sale? I don’t really want/can’t afford a completed car as I will enjoy the build phase immensely. Thanks guys! Hopefully I can get started soon!

Where are you at? I’m looking too. You just have to be patient. It helps that every racer in the Midwest knows I’m looking for one and knows where to find me. :slight_smile:

Kyle,

Why not just hit the pick and pull and find one that’s already been wrecked? Might save you the trouble…

:ducks:

That’s some funny shit there!

As far as I can tell the nearest yard that has any beamers is nearly 5 hours from me. :frowning:

I am about 40 miles west of Chicago, willing to drive a bit for a good chassis though.

Colin–Julian was joking and it was in very very poor taste, considering the glass house he lives in.

You wont find anything worthwhile in the pick and pulls (except for spares). Craig’s List is the best place to look because you can find cars there that aren’t owned by enthusiasts who think their 25 yo car with 300k miles and torn seats is worth 4 grand.

Oh, and we race “bimmers”, not “beamers”. Sorry, couldn’t resist!

There are three that show up om my local craigslist.

87 Eta coupe $1200
90 is auto coupe $2000
87 is coupe $2500

Ya I have seen a few in CL but I’d rather not mess around with a motor swap (eta to 2.5), and nearly all have rust which I absolutely do not want to deal with.

[quote=“cosm3os” post=67758]Colin–Julian was joking and it was in very very poor taste, considering the glass house he lives in.

You wont find anything worthwhile in the pick and pulls (except for spares). Craig’s List is the best place to look because you can find cars there that aren’t owned by enthusiasts who think their 25 yo car with 300k miles and torn seats is worth 4 grand.

Oh, and we race “bimmers”, not “beamers”. Sorry, couldn’t resist![/quote]

More like a glass garage the car’s parked in.

But yeah, I’d check CL. Can you transport a donor chassis? If so, there were some nicely prepped chassis ready to go down in the Florida area. Southern cars in general are going to have less rust. Road trip?

Most guys come into it looking for the cheapest clean chassis which means buying a 318 auto with a blown motor and no rust. The idea is they pay a couple hundred bucks for the chassis, buy another rusted out donor 325 and swap over the driveline so they are only into the car a grand before starting the cage and spec stuff. That’s the ideal. If you aren’t interested in going that route, then yes, you will have to pay 4k+ for a solid runner.

Well I already have a rusted out 325i coupe that I am using as a daily, I don’t mind replacing a blown motor with the same motor, however I’m not 100% comfortable with doing an E to I conversion.

Definitely not opposed to driving a sizeable distance for a good deal on a good car.

Join our google group. Guys who run accross stuff usually post it up for others looking for cars.

[quote=“ColinE30” post=67773]Well I already have a rusted out 325i coupe that I am using as a daily, I don’t mind replacing a blown motor with the same motor, however I’m not 100% comfortable with doing an E to I conversion.

Definitely not opposed to driving a sizeable distance for a good deal on a good car.[/quote]If you can replace a motor, the E/I part is trivial. The only things that really change is the ECU and instrument cluster, at least if the E car is an 86. If it has the older rectangular harness-body engine connector, that’s a bit more work (I actually have that adapter harness in my spares from days running an I motor in an 85 E car).

Is it as simple as the wiring harness? I thought there was some funny things with the transmission setup as well. I will try to find the Google group.

Also the cooling system is mirrored right? I suppose most people replace the stock rad anyway though.

Follow the link and request an invite and you’re in!

https://groups.google.com/forum/?fromgroups#!forum/midwest-e30-racers