Looking for a used/rebuilt transmission

Last weekend, 2nd gear took a dive on me. I’m looking for a decent condition used tranny or a reasonably priced rebuilt one. I was at the u-pull-it in North Hollywood a couple of weeks ago but the selection was pretty dismal. My car is a '90 with a build date of 10/89. Anyone have any leads?

Matt there is always quite a few E30’s at the pick and pull in Ontario. If you want I will be in the area next week and I can stop in to see if they have one you can use.

Allan

I would start with Walter Ford Ford Valley Motorwerks, he’s put a lot of time and energy into helping out the racers…

But pick-a-parts are going to have good transmissions.

Allan- That would be great but please don’t go to far out of your way.

I was thinking about calling VM and Speed Trapp but the only issue would be expensive shipping. If I can’t find anything locally, I’ll go that route. I’ve got a line on a rebuilt one but he wants $1200 for it which is a little more than I was hoping to spend.

Autobahn in Elcajon has some E30s. You might give them a call. I don’t know how their prices are.

Matt,

You need a Getrag 260 - same as every 325 every built. The ‘i’ motor cars 87 and later had the crank sensor in a different place to the 86 and earlier cars, so it would be desirable to get a transmission from the later car.

Contact me at kgobey
at
charter
dot net

The other choice you have to is to contact Walter Ford of Ford Valley Motorwerks in Sacramento to see if he has anything for you. Walter is the number one best resource for SpecE30 racers on the west coast despite his remoteness from LA.

But I do know a guy in who’s thinking about working with the SpecE30 crowd on some of this type of stuff.

Let me know.

Kieran

Hi Matt, I have been selling rebuilt transmissions to my fellow spec e30 racers on the east coast. I have about 6-8 units out there right now with zero problems. I have one here ready to go that I could ship to you. Would run about 700 shipped to you. Check out my ad in the classifieds. Its not ideal since it has to be shipped but if your looking for a quality rebuild from a fellow “brother in speed” this is it.

az at drive-gear dot com

Thanks everyone for the help. I got one from Andrew at Drive Gear last week and got it put in last weekend. It shifts like butter. Hopefully I won’t ever have to do that again anytime soon. I would definitely recommend Andrew’s trannies to anyone. I can’t wait for Willow Springs in two weeks, I even cleaned and polished my car.

I hope we see you at Willow with your new transmission!

I’ll be there. Are you camping again? I think I may try that this time. Where do you usually paddock there?