May NJMP Event....Who is in?

My Saturday story is similar to Robert’s for obvious reasons. I qualified P6 and got a decent start and was making up spots but flew off at T2 while trying to keep a reasonable pace as a HC Civic was taking his dear sweet time to overtake me “Let’s get it done and move on, man!”). Rather than stay in it I realized I was going to hit the wall so I scrubbed energy and re-joined at the inside of T3’s entry. From there I clawed my way back, finishing 3rd. I thought I had something for Frans until I started un-porting (fuel) with about 1.5 laps to go. Pete set a new SE30 track record (broke his own from last month, actually), and I think four of us were in the 1:19s.

My Sunday story took a different turn. Pete and I put on freshies for Quali, but I got clean track and he didn’t. I captured P2, 0.1 behind Sean and 0.1 in front of Robert, IIRC. Pete was P5 for the start. You can see in Pete’s video how the start went: I got a good run through T1 and held onto it through a number of mistakes (for about 10 mins) until Robert decided that was enough of that. In a rare glance at my mirror I saw he was on an epic tear and I knew my tire temps would have to settle before I had anything for him. Robert slipped past as I dumped wheels-off at T1’s exit and I tucked in behind. I remember finding it strikingly easy to stay on his bumper and thinking to myself, “I can just hang out here for a while, perfectly happy.” I was certain we were about to check out on the rest of the pack. As that hope started to become reality, Robert’s driveshaft essentially exploded all over the front of my car. Data says we were doing about 111mph when it let go and I was following at a range of probably 20 feet. I took what I think was his trans brace to the radiator and at impound found that it had caused a water leak. Luckily the leak was very small and I never saw the temp gauge rise despite watching it like a hawk from that moment. During all this, Pete in #343 had been forging his way up to 3rd so when Robert retired Pete became my only concern. I knew I had speed in reserve and finishing 1st would only require making fewer mistakes than Pete. Luckily that’s how it worked out despite a #@*#%$! 944 who thought it was crucial to race me wheel-to-wheel on the last lap. I was so glad they reminded people in Saturday’s race meeting to “only race your own class” and that this guy was the only chump who didn’t listen. Robert and I set the fastest laps of the race (tied out to the thousandth, oddly, on MyLaps), but we were about a half-second slower than Saturday’s race from what I can tell (higher track temp, more debris, etc.).

Lightning is a brilliant track - simple yet technical - and I recommend it to anyone from novice to racer. I personally would choose it any day over Thunder. Hope to see you all at Hyperfest.

-Matt #232

Sounds like yall had fun…may have to make the tow, as it is closer than Road A for me if I leave from my farm on I 95…

Al

PS

One thing Patton may have touched on, if yall post stories/vidoe’s you will possibly see the spec e30 field increase, silence usually means nothing good is going on…

Al

This will be quick, since most of the details have been talked about already, but man, what a good weekend. The front end of the pack was so close in laps times, that it pretty much came down to traffic and making the least mistakes. Unfortunately for me, I made a bunch (possibly aided by setup issues, but I’m doing my best not to take that cop out).

The start for Saturday’s race was intense. Coming around for lap 2, we still looked like we were in formation for the start. Add in the slow cars at the back of the main pack and then soon after, the fast ones catching us and things got interesting. 40 minute race with only local yellows and no major incidence was pretty good though. About halfway through the race, my car got pretty loose and I kept losing the back end. Started 4th finished 5th.

For Sunday, I got my brake ducts back on and played with tire pressures a bit more and the car felt better, was able to get pole, with the top 5 or 6 separated by about half a second. At the start, we got our own green flag (flagger forgot to pull it in on Saturday, we were pacing ourselves, no 2nd pace car) and Robert (P3) got a good jump on me. I had to stay inside to defend from him, which let Matt takeover the lead. Then I pushed too hard in between 2 and 3, 2 laps in a row and got squirrelly and lost a bunch of spots. About halfway through the race, I couldn’t find 4th gear from 5th and lost some more spots fumbling with that on a couple different occasions. Oddly enough, I didn’t feel I lost that much speed when I decided to keep it in 4th and just cruise under the revlimiter instead of going to 5th. Ended up in 5th again, I guess that was my spot for the weekend.

It was real fun getting to race with Frans, Steve and Robert for the first time and looking forward to the next time. Congrats to Greg and Sam too for passing comp school, that’s 3 new drivers so far this year!

Here’s a few laps from Saturdays race, http://vimeo.com/12251145 I’ll try to get footage from Sunday up tonight or tomorrow

Now that everyone explained the race better that i would have, would like to once again, thank all the non locals for coming out to play. Was great to race with all of you guys. Loved the good hard/clean racing.
Everyone i talked to at the track said the e30 racing was the best to watch. Hopefully some of you will trek out to the north east for some more racing soon.
Sorry to hear about the motor troubles Rick and Greg.
I did not press play on the camera on sat but got some footage from the start on sunday, and when Grace had his failure.

Sunday Start: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oZq1mJKBV4A

Grace : http://www.vimeo.com/12181087

See you at Hyperfest, and Thunderbolt in October:woohoo:

Peter Thibault

Two things:

The lack of yellows…could they be possibly related to the lack of 944s? :huh:

SE30 racing…gee, I wish it were a little closer. You can see from Sean’s video just how vastly different everyone is. Terrible competition.
:laugh:

ddavidv wrote:

[quote]Two things:

The lack of yellows…could they be possibly related to the lack of 944s? :huh: [/quote]

Hey, I resemble that remark. :laugh:

Seriously, videos like that will keep this class growing, great job!

Wow – what a fun race weekend!

Congrats to Pete and Matt for solid wins. Props to all for great, fun, hard racing. And Big Thanks to team DriveGear for styling me in a fast ride!!

Hope to see you all at Hyperfest at Summit Point.

Frans