Might need to buy new wheels before this weekend

I was cleaning up my set of HPDE wheels before taking them to have the tires swapped from side to side when I noticed that two of the wheels have small dents along the inside of the wheel perfectly centered along the tread of the tire. They’re both circular about the size of a half dollar and I can feel them when I run my hand along the inside of the wheel. Only two of my four wheels have this small bump. I’m thinking that it might have something to do with the high speed shakiness I felt at Mid Ohio but I’m not certain. I’m going to have a tire shop pull the tires off and see what it looks like underneath the wheel.

Right now I’m trying to plan for the worst. Assuming the two wheels are bent/unsuitable for HPDE I think I’m going to sell the remaining two and then get a new set of wheels. I wanted to see what everyone recommended. I know some people use Kosei K1s, some other people use D-Force wheels, and some others use Team Dynamics Pro Sport 2s. What is currently the best bang for the buck that I’d be able to get ASAP?

You should post a pic of the dents.

TireRack is apparently selling some wheel for $75. One of the guys mentioned this at Road Atl this weekend. You can get Koenig wheels for $75 but you have to do some paperwork.

Here’s a picture showing where it is. It’s exactly the same size and in the same location on both wheels but there’s nothing on the other two wheels.

You can see the bump from the shadow.

Prob a casting flaw. Hard to imagine how the dimple could be due to damage. I don’t know that I’d worry about it. Not a high stress area.

Where are the high stress areas on wheels? I’m guessing the lugs and then the outside lip?

I’m going to have the tire shop check out the inside of the wheel and if they look good then I’ll probably run them some more.

http://www.tirerack.com/wheels/WheelCloseUpServlet?target=runWheelSearch&initialPartNumber=C157025400BS&wheelMake=TRMotorsport&wheelModel=C1&wheelFinish=Bright+Silver+Paint&showRear=no&autoMake=BMW&autoModel=325is&autoYear=1987&autoModClar=&filterFinish=All&filterSize=All&filterBrand=All&filterSpecial=false&filterNew=All&filterWeight=All&sort=Price

They are apparently $94ea now.

I would think you could balance that out with wheel weights, as long as the edges where the bead of the tire sits are still round.

Talk to Michael Osborne. I believe he was trying to sell a set of wheels. He might still have them and will be at Mid-Ohio.

I bought these. They are 350$ shipped.

http://www.discounttiredirect.com/direct/wheels/drag/product/submitProductSize.do?pc=53880&tmn=DR-41&typ=Car%2FMinivan

[quote=“MrDomino” post=67715]Where are the high stress areas on wheels? I’m guessing the lugs and then the outside lip?
[/quote]
Usually it’s the spokes that fail.

The tire shop didn’t find anything on the inside so I’m going to go with the casting flaw explanation for now especially since it’s in the same place on two wheels. The possibility of me hitting the same bump with different wheels that created the same dent on the same location on both wheels is just too coincidental for me.

I still think I’m going to get a new set of wheels though for next year just to potentially eliminate a failure point. Brakes, suspension, and wheels/tires are the most important things to me since a failure with one of those could end up causing huge amounts of damage to the car and myself.

Anyways, from what I’m gathering it sounds like wheel choice isn’t that important. Last time I had checked it seemed like the Team Dynamics Pro Race 2 were the wheel to run in both Spec E30 and Spec Miata. However, it seems like I now have the option of the Pro Race 1.2 or the D-Sports.

Yep, I have lots of 15X7 Euro weaves. $250 a set.

I actually had a friend at work have the exact thing happen to a set of OE VW wheels. The tire shop claimed it was a defect. It turns out the lever the shop used put too much force into the wheel causing it to deflect and ultimately crack. Could this be the case here, too?

FWIW Michael’s wheels that he is selling are great.

It’s possible, but the amount of force it takes to crack a wheel is incredible…I doubt a tire tool could do that kind of damage.

I thought so, too, until I saw it with my own eyes. Punched a hole right through it. Scuff inside the rim to prove it. Tire shop eventually admitted that in fact they were culpable and bought him a new wheel from VW.

I am not saying this is the same, but it looks similar to the damage on my friends wheel in any case.

Set of Team Dynamics Pro Race 1.2 is what I would recommend. The D-Force is only just lighter, although I can’t recommend it based on my personal experience.

The TDs are cheap, reliable and replaceable - I’m sure BimmerWorld would be happy to look after a SpecE30-er.