MWSE30 July Autobahn write up

Two SE30s (Robert Schmitt and Tom Tiede) took the greens at Autobahn this weekend. Unfortunately, Kyle Burkhardt’s car was totalled at MidO two weeks prior, and our fourth driver, Rob Rhodes, suffered a pretty good fall from his bike laning him on the PUP list for the weekend.

But, hey–two cars makes a race!

It was hot and the drought conditions in the MW made for some scarry moments for many cars over the weekend. Several grass fires claimed parts or all of cars.

On Saturday, Tiede qualified on the SE30 pole, but was almost 2 secs off the pace we set in the cooler April weather earlier in the year. Schmitt was back on track for the first time since and was about 2 secs off Tom’s pace. The 40 min race saw Tiede take the lead from the start, and extended it to about a half lap by the end of the race. Scmitt did a nice job of negotiating the SMs and 944s to get his third start toward his provisional.

On Sunday it was clear that Schmitt had knocked the rust off as he was just tenths off Tiede’s qualifying pace. With that confidence, Schmitt did a fantastic job negotiating a HC car in T1 so as not to let Tiede get a quick get away. Schmitt pushed Tiede for about 8 laps before a coolant pressure drop forced him to park it.

Overall a great weekend despite attrition in the ranks. We were introduced to another future racer–Rich Friman. He’s just a cage and comp school away from joining us!

My video from sunday until I overheated.

http://www.streetfire.net/video/acc071512movmov_2390629.htm

Was the overheat temporary or something more ominous?

I don’t think there is anything wrong with the car. I think my air-dam was doing to much damming.

On my 87, I have been fighting warmer than normal water temps. Started with the cap being oval’ed, thus not sealing the system enough. Then I thought it might be running lean due to a venting problem with the fuel tank which caused the engine to sputter at the end of races. Fix that, still running warmer than the stat temp. Just got done making a baffle/duct that forces air from the lower openings in the bumper for the OEM oil cooler to the radiator and also prevents air from going down and under the radiator. My thinking is since I have an aftermarket oil cooler in front of the radiator that it might be lowering how much heat the radiator can dissipate.

Can’t wait to try it out at Mid-Ohio in August. It’s a crossover. Would be great to see the MW guys make the event.

Haven’t we done enough damage at GL events already?