New Car Build in SoCal

Hi Guys,

I thought I’d introduce myself. Me and a buddy are building a new Spec E30.

The car is a super clean 87 325is. It’s so clean and complete that it’s almost a shame to rip it apart! The only issue is a motor with very blown head gasket.

The car is actually his, but I’m helping out as much as I can. He actually traded 2 surfboards for the entire car :slight_smile:

Are there any good recommendations for a cage installer in SoCal? We’re also debating whether to rebuild the motor or get a used one. Any help would be appreciated!

How many active Spec E30 cars are there in SoCal now? The forums look a little dead…

As a side note, we both work for a racing simulator manufacture. You can see our stuff here: www.cxcsimulations.com We’ll be learning all the tracks in virtual land :slight_smile:

-Chris

I think there are 3 racers now in SoCal, and two more who race up in Norcal, Steve F and I who live in SLO. I am thinking of coming to AAA race with SoCal at the end of July to join the new guys and Victor. I will try to make other events with SoCal that do not interfere with NorCal Events.

If you can find a used motor from an Auto with 150k or less on it, that is a good motor for the first year at least. Than later you can decide how deep in your pocket to go. Call the Speed Trapp guys and they can give you plenty of help and ideas. I am not knowledgeable of Cage builders in SoCal.

The main thing is get to and on the track. Finish the car and get racing. Don’t worry about making the car perfect. You will want to improve yourselves far more than the car. The whole point of spec E30 is to get out there cheaply and have FUN!

Your simulators look like a lot of fun.

Welcome to the addiction Chris! You picked the perfect “gateway drug” :wink: Regarding your engine, you can probably get away with pulling the head, having it freshened up and leave the bottom end alone. A lot of guys go this way on their builds. Also, have the machine shop check the specs on your camshaft and not assume it’s good…I learned that lession the hard way! If you have the head done, spend the $$ and replace all the rocker arms with new ones. The old ones have a propensity for breaking and since you have the head off, now is the time to replace them. I learned that lesson the hard way too!

Cheers,
Scott

Cheers Guys :slight_smile:

I myself am pretty familiar with the racing thing. Started in karts (did the national level shifter stuff), moved to FF, then Star Mazda. My buddy on the other hand is all new to this. This would be a first build for both of us though. I always raced for teams (other than in karts), so this is new to me. Built plenty of street projects, but no race cars.

Thanks for the advice on the motor. We may try to resurrect it.

Still need to find a cage builder though…

I’ll keep you guys posted.

Hello Chris, great to hear another build in SoCal! There is a few guys that race in SoCal right now. I just did comp school a couple of weeks ago so I should be racing by the Cal Speedway event. Stephen and Matt are both in HPDE 3 and show up to all events. They should racing in no time.

As for a cage builder I had my cage done at Pierce Motorsports. http://www.advanceoffroad.com/index.html He has done a couple of SE30 cars and many other race cars. His prices are resonable and he does great work.

Where are you located? I am in Murrieta. If you need help with any of the build let me know. I always like a good car project.

Allan

oh yeah…

When do I get a chance to try this out???http://www.cxcsimulations.com/motion-pro/

Seems like a great place to work!

there is a recommended cage builders map referenced here, but unfortunately none are listed in socal.
http://www.nasaforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=39&t=20513

Evosport would undoubtedly do a good job but not inexpensively http://www.evosport.com/

bruce

It’s great to hear another racer or two are on the way. Your simulators look osom! I would be interested in what goes into creating a track map. If you have build questions this is the place.

Cheers,

Chris_CXC_Simulations wrote:

[quote]
The car is a super clean 87 325is. It’s so clean and complete that it’s almost a shame to rip it apart!
-Chris[/quote]

Welcome Chris,
Kieran Gobey who is also doing a SoCal build just went through the same thing with a very nice car. Once you start to rip and tear it gets easier and just think of all the Ebay sales.

There are three active cars in SoCal. With Allan and another NorCal sourced car (Garrett Katzenstein)we could easily have five by the ACS (or whatever it’s called now) event. There should be eight cars by the Oct/Nov events at Buttonwillow.

I’m not much help in the cage department, I had TC Design in Milpitas (NorCal) do mine. Very happy with the finished product.

Good luck on the build, hope to see you out there soon.

Chris

I’m the mystery car owner Chris speaks of…I’m Matt.

So after looking at the vin it seems the car is a 325e rather than a 325is.

Because of this it appears it lacks the LSD. I’m in the process of verifying this as it seems sometimes there are discrepancies
with the online vin checker. (spin the rearend?)

Are there other drivers in this series without LSD?

The car is so pretty I don’t want to rip it apart if I can sell it and buy something more competitive.

Can I swap my diff without violating the rules?

Thanks everyone!

Matt

Matt, you can change the diff without violating the rules. Some “I” cars did not have the lsd when they came from the factory. You can run the open diff legaly as long as it has the 3.73 ratio.

You will also need to do a motor swap, to the “I” motor. The “E” motor is not within the rules. Many people have done the swap. There is a lot of info on the web on what needs to be done.

If you are not sure if it is a I or E the quickest way to find out is the tach. The E revs to around 4500 and the I to 6400.

Great info, thank you!

I have 2 sources checking for the motor, but thought I would ask if anyone has alternative sources in socal?

Thanks in advance for all your help!

Matt

A clean “e” car should be worth enough to sell then purchase an “i” to save yourselves the brain damage of doing a motor and diff swap. Motor is a big pain, diff is just a little pain. But a few hours and a couple hundred bucks worth of parts.

There is a tag on the rear cover of the diff that should say S3.73 if it is an LSD or 3.73 if not. The tag is only held on by the cover bolt so it is not infallible, but if the tag is covered by the same layer of grime as everything else it is unlikely someone swapped just the tag. :wink:

There are a couple of ways of handling this issue. And this is my approach:

I have a 325es that I bought from Glen Porter (a hopeful SpecE30 racer who’s turned since to SpecMiata)… The car was well maintained and was worth a few extra bucks to have such a nicely cared for and clean car to start with… So the motor and diff are good and the overall shape of the car mechanically is good enough for track days and the odd trip to work and long drives on the weekend.

As such my plan of approach has been to get the suspension stabilized and then worry about the safety gear - the very last thing on my list to tackle will be the Engine and Diff. Though I have already bought a Diff from Rob Inthout (RIDS) in San Fernando, he’s an ex-racer and BMW focused dealer in Differentials and Transmissions.

Victor Beraja is our race director and I will clear it with him first, but I plan to race at first with the 2.9 diff and ETA motor for no points but classified as SpecE30(fun) as there is no competitive advantage to the ETA motor. This is what they do in NorCal too. I’d like to do the same for others in my position and also for the guys with the 4 cylinder motor. At least as we grow the class in SoCal.

BTW we are getting prepared for a real push for new participants in SoCal, we have a web site http://socalspece30.com/ and I am going to put together a Google mailing list for us SoCal guys so we can organize. Our main discussion board is obviously this web site, but there are things we still need to discuss in a less public forum.

At this time, we have Frank, Chris, Garrett & Victor as SoCal members with completed cars… Devin, Dave (Frank’s brother), Allan (78kona posting here), Steffen (GottaRace, also posting here) and you and I are all building cars for the SoCal series.

I also have a list of very interested people: Jeremy S. and Geoff S. (Father - Son), Jesten T., Ken, Nick O. and Geoff T. from the BMW Club are all also very interested. I also met a guy with a great chance of building a car at the last LA autocross.

More outside, but looking in are Darren Y. (scared yet?) & Erik I. (another scary fast driver)

We are also working on other ways to bring new members into the SoCal series, Frank, Chris, Dave and I are all BMW Club members and our pool of interested BMW focused track junkies is extraordinary, we’ll be focusing on building interest from that core group of people… We are working on discounted races with the BMW Club (LA) to be able to race on Driver School weekends with BMW CCA Club Racing. This will hopefully generate interest from a crowd already sold on the marque and driving on race tracks.

We have also been invited (yes you too) to run with VARA in the modern era run group, we’re welcomed to run with them as they are a 13-13 rules set group and are willing to let us run as a group for maybe practice days or licensing purposes, or just as a way to get extra days on the track.

Send me you email information and I’ll add you to the google mailing list once I get around to putting it together.

Kieran

BTW I have to install my camber plates, but other than bushings I do have the SpecE30 suspension on the car.

The interior is pretty far a long, I need to finish the door bars and I’d love to install a dash bar if I can…

The motor will come in 2011.

kgobey wrote:

[quote]
More outside, but looking in are Darren Y. (scared yet?) & Erik I. (another scary fast driver)
Kieran[/quote]

Erik isn’t planning on running the SpecChevron is he :S

lol hope so!

So I’m going to begin accumulating parts. Most of what I have found is on craigslist, what are your experiences there, the two who I’ve been emailing sound like enthusiast and for all I know maybe on this forum.

I found a LSD 3.73, wire harness from a 325is or 325i M20, a motor from a 325is with an auto trans attached.

If anyone can give me advice on what to look out for or avoid.

Oh also if you think I should avoid any of the buys above please let me know.

I didn’t post the prices in case someone on here is selling them, but would like to know your opinions on the prices as well.

Thank you everyone!

btw kgobey how is the ride on the street with almost complete race suspension? I thought of a similar means of getting the car to spec and was pleasantly surprised to hear that you are doing it that way.

I’m sure I have a long way to go to be competitive (fast) that goes for me and the car.

Thanks

I did not find the spec suspension to stiff for SoCal steets. I ran mine as a daily driver for over a year.