New guy -->

Just thought I’d hop in here and introduce myself! My name is Kolbe Launchbaugh, I live in San Marcos and work in San Diego (SCEA). I have been interested in joining the spec racing world for quite some time now and finally have the money AND time to realistically make it happen. I was originally looking at 7’s only or Spec Miata but after the Grassroots Motorsports Spec e30 series of articles tipped me of to the existence of the class I don’t think the other two fit me as well.

I’ll be lurking around here trying to learn as much as I can before I get completely overwhelmed by the build. I’m actively seeking a car and acquire one and start the build in the next month or two with the goal being to have the car race ready in less than a year. So there you have it, I’m officially the FNG!

-Kolbe

[edit] Any tips for finding my donor car, or anything else that may be good to know would be well received!

Kolbe wrote:

[quote]Just thought I’d hop in here and introduce myself! My name is Kolbe Launchbaugh, I live in San Marcos and work in San Diego (SCEA). I have been interested in joining the spec racing world for quite some time now and finally have the money AND time to realistically make it happen. I was originally looking at 7’s only or Spec Miata but after the Grassroots Motorsports Spec e30 series of articles tipped me of to the existence of the class I don’t think the other two fit me as well.

I’ll be lurking around here trying to learn as much as I can before I get completely overwhelmed by the build. I’m actively seeking a car and acquire one and start the build in the next month or two with the goal being to have the car race ready in less than a year. So there you have it, I’m officially the FNG!

-Kolbe

[edit] Any tips for finding my donor car, or anything else that may be good to know would be well received![/quote]
Call me anytime or email me with questions.(916)496-0750

watch the various craigslists in your area. (use crazedlist.org or similar to search multiple areas). I bought my donor in LA.
cheers,
bruce
(Colorado)

If I keep getting my car into “incidents” I will be selling it, called karma or luck, but I never had this many issues with a car. Two racing weekends, two trips to the body shop :angry:

BETO wrote:

You’ll have to name your car “Christine” in reference to that great Steven King novel/movie from 1980.:ohmy:

Victor, it was nice meeting you this weekend. What happened to your car? Don’t tell me one of those Spec Miata guys ran into you.

No, it was an Acura in PT I guess who span out a lap before and was trying to catch up with the rest of the field, he almost span out behind me before magic mountain, when he finally caught up with me in the front straigh I saw him coming, I kept my line before turn one, I wasn’t going to dive and block him, so I stepped on the brakes, I have to start braking way before him since my car is heavier, and he was right bahind me drfating, so he didn’t have time nor anticipated to move to the left and pass me like he was supposed to do and hit me square in the rear bumper on the drivers side, and out we went. I think it was two laps before the end. Nothing big, but I got dizzie because of the impact and spinning, and was sent to the paddocks.

Sorry to hear that Victor - hopefully you’re car is more easily fixed than the last time. Good to see you again at Bwillow, next time I’ll bring my E30.

It doesn’t look too big, but the new quarter panel was wrinkled.:angry: I can’t open the trunk, the bumper got bent, and the body under it, even the wheel well was bent and the muffler. Amazing such a small hit and so much damage.:frowning:
I’ll take pics.

BTW, “new guy” when are you coming to see us? I hope to be ready for Willow, maybe your car is not, but you can run HPDE.
Let me know if you need anything, even a donor car, I can help you look. Why don’t you get a race-ready car? Trust me, it’s worth it.

BETO wrote:

[quote]BTW, “new guy” when are you coming to see us? I hope to be ready for Willow, maybe your car is not, but you can run HPDE.
Let me know if you need anything, even a donor car, I can help you look. Why don’t you get a race-ready car? Trust me, it’s worth it.[/quote]

I’d like to try and make the next event to meet and hang out with you guys. When is the Willow event? I took a breeze through the Calendar and didnt see anything from now till August - Guess I’m looking in the wrong place.

I may even run HPDE if my Audi’s not being flaky (currently it throws the check engine light every so often). As for the reason I wont be buying a race ready car, I’ve not built a car since I was 20 and really want to do it again. This may be the worst idea ever, but making it only helps to establish me as King Bad Idea - a title I wont willingly give up. :silly:

-Kolbe

Ok, went to the NASA page to find the date and no, I wont make the Willow event as my little sister is graduating HS that weekend. Looks like the June 7-8th event will be the first I can make.

-Kolbe

May 24th and 25th is the next event at Willow Springs.
http://www.nasaproracing.com/nasa_event/list_events
According to my body shop, we are becoming very acquainted lately:( , the car should be ready in 10 days, just “stretch” the body parts as far as I know.
Hope to see you there.