New RA1s - break-in Q.

I’ve just got myself a set of RA1’s (shaved to 6/32") for Road Atlanta this weekend (I’m in HPDE3). My original plan was to run the old R888 for the first run on Saturday morning to get myself reacquainted with the track and then run the RA1’s for one session and then take them off, let them cool down and then put them back on for Sunday. I was browsing the web and found this…

http://features.evolutionm.net/printpage.php?id=46

It says that it is not necessary to heat cycle RA1’s. Is this right? I thought pretty much all race rubber benefited from an initial heat cycle before heavy use?

Also, what pressures should I start at? I seem to recall reading somewhere that the desired pressure were generally higher than the R888’s, but the above article says otherwise.

Thanks,

Andy

Don’t worry about heat cycling. Run the same tire the whole time. That eliminates one huge variable.

Start around 28-30, aiming for 38 hot, maybe 36 when you get to your paddock spot and check the pressures yourself.

PS - They benefit from one really hard, short heat cycle. If you want, I’ll run them in qualifying. Just to help you out, ya know?

Steve, if you think 6/32 is the hot set-up for q laps, you should try 8/32.

Andy, ignore web giberish, mount the tires and run 'em. Start at 28psi for three,29 in front left.

I’ll see you there with a fresh set of 5/32 on the rear only (Laura gets two,I get two–we don’t have any money).

RP

That’s a very generous offer, Steve. I think I might have to politely decline!

That’s a very generous offer, Steve. I think I might have to politely decline![/quote]

You chose wisely.

Compared to the crap tires I’m bringing, 6ers would be better!