Portable Air Compressor Question

I got a $100 Sears card along with my $4,400 lift. What a bargain! So, I wanted to be a big spender and get a portable air compressor to fill tires and run an impact wrench.

Here’s my question: the compressor I’m looking at delivers 2.4 SCFM at 90 psi. The wrenches I’ve checked on use 4-5 SCFM at 90 psi. I don’t want a bigger compressor capable of this, because then it’s not portable. What would happen if I buy the small one and try to run an impact wrench? Will it really not work, or just make the air compressor pump run alot and mean that I cannot just lay on the trigger?

Thanks,
Sasha

Provided that your use of the impact wrench is short and there’s plenty of time between uses (low duty cycle use) a portable compressor can be made to work. However, at about 50% of the impact wrench’s requirements the life of the compressor will be reduced and you may run into overheating of the unit.

A better choice might be to use the compressor for just for airing up tires and the like and have a battery operated torque wrench for that requirement.

Sasha - I agree with other post. If you are going to get an air compressor, IMHO, I would buy something big enough to use the impact, occassional paint gun use, orbital sander, etc. and keep it at home. Get the battery powered impact for the track - it is a very handy tool, even at home.

Ed

I ditched my compressor for the track years ago and never regret it. Get a $130 Harbor Freight Battery impact (might even be less now) and an air tank for airing up tires. Someone (Carter) always has a compressor to refill your tank. I don’t find that I use a lot of air at the track on the tires anyway.

My HF impact is 5 years old and still kicking.

erupert66 wrote:

[quote]I ditched my compressor for the track years ago and never regret it. Get a $130 Harbor Freight Battery impact (might even be less now) and an air tank for airing up tires. Someone (Carter) always has a compressor to refill your tank. I don’t find that I use a lot of air at the track on the tires anyway.

My HF impact is 5 years old and still kicking.[/quote]
The new run of HF cordless impacts are reported to suck compared to the older ones…big thread on GRM and rr-ax about it. The 80.00 one from pep boys is supposed to be decent…otherwise spend the loot for a milwaulkee, snap on or a dewalt

nasaregistrar wrote:

[quote]erupert66 wrote:

[quote]I ditched my compressor for the track years ago and never regret it. Get a $130 Harbor Freight Battery impact (might even be less now) and an air tank for airing up tires. Someone (Carter) always has a compressor to refill your tank. I don’t find that I use a lot of air at the track on the tires anyway.

My HF impact is 5 years old and still kicking.[/quote]
The new run of HF cordless impacts are reported to suck compared to the older ones…big thread on GRM and rr-ax about it. The 80.00 one from pep boys is supposed to be decent…otherwise spend the loot for a milwaulkee, snap on or a dewalt[/quote]

We’ve got the Goodyear branded one that came from PepBoys and have no complaints.

nasaregistrar wrote:

[quote]
The new run of HF cordless impacts are reported to suck compared to the older ones…big thread on GRM and rr-ax about it. The 80.00 one from pep boys is supposed to be decent…otherwise spend the loot for a milwaulkee, snap on or a dewalt[/quote]

Intesting. The Chicago Elec isn’t listed anymore. That blue thing is crap. I bought a 3/8 version thinking that it might be handy. It’s too heavy and bulky. I wind up useing a pneumatic 3/8 in the shop instead.

I got my dad the Pep Boys one for Christmas. He has no complaints. It’s a 24v (vs. the 18v in my old Chicago Elec).

Sasha, I think you go with a cordless impact drill. With your garage set up it would be a shame for you to sacrifice a quality compressor for portability. Besides… shouldn’t you be shopping for diaper bags?

here’s what I did for a cordless impact wrench - no complaints at all with it
http://spece30.com/component/option,com_mamboboard/Itemid,/func,view/catid,16/id,6306/#6306

cheers,
bruce