Repairing race tires?

I think I know the answer to this question but just in case…

One of my (almost new) RA-1s picked up a nail at RA (how does a race track get nails?). The local shop where I was getting new truck tires said they tried to repair but “the adhesive wouldn’t stick so the filler wouldn’t stay in”. They offered to put a patch on the inside of the tire but that sounded pretty iffy to me.

I’m assuming this tire is toast, but any other options?
–Fred

patch from the inside is the better option… Air pressure is actually helping to keep it sealed. IMO, you’re not going to experience any catostrophic failure by using this tire. But, of course, I’m not responsible if you do!

If the nail was at least one tread block in from the shoulder, I would trust a patch on the inside - and I am a complete Safety Sally. YMMV, been nice knowing you, etc. :wink:

A plug/patch combo is the best way to repair a tire. As Steve mentioned as long as the nail is nowhere near the shoulder of the tire you will be fine with a repair. The rule we used when I worked tires at Walmart was the nail had to be more than the width of the patch from the shoulder or we wouldn’t touch it.

So Wal-Mart is setting our new safety standards? :slight_smile:

The advice you have goten to fix the tire is good advice for street tire, and st. tires ONLY.
this is a tire that you are asking alot more of than a st tire, patch and plugs are NOT designed for the abuse , heat etc that racing will put on it.

get a new tire

Tires is what I do for a living. I work for TCi a wholesale tire company owned by Michelin and I hold every award possable for tire training on most any brand that has such programs. A patch on the inside is a guaranteed/warrantied repair on the street. The problem is that there have never been any studies, that I know of, on the heat and load transfer on a repaired tire in a race type situation. Plugging a tire is actually illegal in some states and if it is legal most places wont do it because they dont want to get sued if something happens. I would agree with Steve and his theory. If the patch is inside of the outer/inner most tread blocks then it “should” be fine. If you are to worried to run a race or enduro the tire then just run it as a practice or qual tire. I hope this helps Fred. ALLEN

No plugs or patches on race tires for me. Not worth the chance.

i wouldn’t use it

In addition to what Allen Garner said, I’d add that if you repair the tire run it only on a rear wheel. That minimizes the affect if the tire starts loosing air.

Z3SpdDmn wrote:

When you are a multi billion dollar company you try and avoid any liabilities you can. By the way I have been running on a plugged/patched Kumho XS tire for 5 events now.

Thanks folks! It’s a tough call. I think I’ve found a solution - the Clemson autocross club can probably use the tire (with an inside patch of course)on the club car. It doesn’t run on the street or the track, only parking lots.

Fred42 wrote:

Too risky. I like you, so I’ll do you a favor. I will take it off your hands at no charge.

Signed,

Your Pal

Thanks Steve, your generosity overwhelms me. But CSCC still gets the tire…