Roll cage. How many points is too many?

Hi Everyone,

I’m about to send the car off to get a cage, finally. Can I poll who has what. 6 or 8 point cages and why.

Let me know if I’m beating a dead horse and should just have him do an 8 point, I didn’t want to go overkill on the cage if I didn’t have too.

Thank you!

Look at it like this: Why wouldn’t you want foot protection? The weight is negligible, the cost is negligible. But if you got in a bad wreck, it would be invaluable.

Then again, I’m a safety freak.

I subscribe to your school of thought. I guess I just wanted to know that is what most drivers prefer. I’ll just go with 8 points.

Thanks

8 is the way to go, foot well protection was started for “IT” cars back around 96 and was a reaction to a lot of broken ankles and lower legs after shunts. The front tire has a habit of intruding into the foot-well in a head-on crash.

Matt, kevin here. Do 8. Foot protection makes sense. I am building a new car after my car was stolen and trashed by Meth heads. Add a good foot rest and the weight added by those extra bars is nice and low. Tie into the rear trunk. Use Feet on the mounts that are as big as possible.

Now get that car done and get into the REAL world of racing. See you at the track!

Here is a very good reason for installing foot bars.

The driver wasn’t around to ask how he was feeling, because he was reportedly taken to the hospital with foot, ankle, and/or leg damage.

The whole “when you spin, both feet in” method works great until the tire comes through the firewall and rearranges the pedals (and your feet). At the very least, install foot bars on the driver’s side if you won’t ever have passengers in the car. Or, take advantage of the additional firewall/wheelwell connection points and install them on both sides.

Mark