Rollcall - Sebring October 2 - 3

Is it too early for this thread? Anyways, I am commited to head down to Sebring for this event. I was wondering if any other SpecE30s or just regular E30s would be there. I am debating doing HPDE2 or paying the extra $60 and doing HPDE1 so I get an instructor since I have never been to Sebring. I do have probably 500 laps around Sebring in Forza 2 and 3, so I definitely know the lines already. Any input Natalie? Are there any E30 instructors in the FL region?

Kingtut,

I’ll probably be there but my car will not be (it is out of state with my partner (business :wink: ) until at least Nov.) .

The Blacks will probably be there, as probably McCay, and Mike Strasser.

Both John and Natalie are NASA instructors as am I. If you want to learn how to get around Sebring, you’d better ask for me :ohmy: . I think I may have just turned this into a smack talk thread.

Don

King Tut wrote:

I’ve probably got 500 laps around Road Atlanta in a race situation, still can’t hold a candle to Skeen, Schwartz, Cobetto. Pay the extra money and get an instructor, otherwise you’re reinforcing bad habits, learning nothing, and driving around with the fear of a computer-generated crash noise that might wake up your sleeping dog.

Geez…

RP

It sounds like you are opposed to learning tracks through sims. That is fine, and I know that alot of people are. I can’t be at the racetrack every weekend getting seat time, so I enjoy playing Forza 3 instead. I’m not saying I have any experience at Sebring, but I am saying that I at least know the racing line, and I have every corner memorized already unlike when I went to Roebling and had to learn the track and proper lines. If there will be E30 instructors, then I feel I will benefit and will go with HPDE1. It is just at some point I will need to go to a new track and learn it myself without an instructor. It is a constant battle in my head between wanting to get instruction versus wanting to show that I can handle myself on a track without one so that I can advance to the point where I can go to comp school. I appreciate your advice RP, and I enjoyed our talk on Sunday.

Chris, not opposed to games, they are much better tools than the slot cars of the 60’s.

Looks like we have a diiference in opinion on the value of in-car instruction and that’s okay. New track or old, I’ll take and pay for an Instructor anytime. Then you reach a point where you can’t teach an old dog new tricks…Oops, not true, the old dog just can’t learn the new tricks.

Returning to the subject:
Enjoy Sebring in October.

RP

No difference in opinion of the value. I know the value and I dont question that. Heck I asked for extra instructionfrom Greg at Road Atlana. So Don if you will be at Sebring I will try to request you as my instructor if I dont get you hopefully you can at least ride with me for a session.

I will likely be there. Sims are good because, at a minimum, you get to learn which way the next turn is. I also like to watch a lot of video on new tracks before I get there, that way you can focus on getting the line perfected and not sweating which way the next turn is. That said, if you do not watch a lot of Sebring video, you will, guaranteed, get lost. It is probably the most complicated track you will drive, but it is also a great place to drive.

I’m coming to hack the track record another 2 seconds or more in October, so be prepared.

Now that I look at the record again, I’m going to hack it 3 seconds or more, because it will be a 2.3x when I am done.

I look forward to seeing that. I didn’t get a chance to meet you at Road Atlanta.

The folks here that know Sebring know it well. When you know something well, it’s hard to remember what it was like to suck. Sucking at Sebring is burned into my memory forever. I had 3 sessions there before I blew up the Porsche’s motor. There are a number of turns at Sebring that you have set up for with damn little in the way of visual cues. Sebring was also my first day away from my home track…The day that I found that I’d what I thought to be “skills” was only 30 track days worth of familiarity at Roebling.

Sebring was difficult. And there’s a lot of walls to punish you for screwing up.

Chris, it’s a silly quandry you’ve gotten yourself in. Forza instead of an instructor? Robert has the right idea. Instructors are opportunities not burdens. Sure, games have some utility in getting introduced to a track for the first time. But instructors are still opportunities, not burdens.

Spending more time with instructors isn’t going to delay your entry to Comp School. You want to go to Comp School sooner? Get more track time. There’s track days at Roebling for cheap at least once/month. One of them is this Friday.

I never said Forza instead of an instructor. I don’t consider an instructor a burden either. I said at least I know the track from racing many laps on Forza. I have been convinced that instruction is worth the money so I have already signed up for HPDE1 and will get an instructor.

If I lived in Georgia I would probably hit Roebling and Road Atlanta for more events with other organizations, but gas is expensive and hotel rooms are expensive so with the closest track a solid 6 hours and 2 tanks of gas away, I am getting to as many track days as I can afford leaving time and money to upgrade the car inbetween.

I’m hoping to do 6 track weekends with NASA this year and at least 6 next year. I don’t want to get to comp school sooner, but I do want to get there, so I want to show progression is all I am saying. It seems like with NASA that means advancing in HPDE which means no more instructors as I will need to show I am able to drive safely with nobody in the passenger seat. Talking with Patton though, staying in HPDE2 and asking for instructors will benefit me more so that is what I will do.

Watch video. Lots and lots of video, from someone that does not suck. Watch it so often that you can stop the video, start it in the middle somewhere, and immediately know where the car is. Really. I do this before I go to an unknown track every time, and it helps more than I can possibly convey.

Chris, the business model for NASA SE (instructors for level 1 only) does not lend itself well for lots of, well, instruction.That’s not a slam on NASA SE, just a fact. Check out some of the other clubs that offer instruction for the more advanced groups (the A, B, C-type run groups). BMWCCA has a Road Atlanta in September, and other groups do RRR.

RPa

My instructor at Road Atlanta this month was a long time BMWCCA instructor and this was his first ever NASA event. He said the same things and was surprised they let guys with such little experience drive solo on the track. Originally I wanted to do all my time with NASA, but now I see track time is track time, so I will try to do some BMWCCA events as well. I might be able to swing Road Atlanta in September, I will look into it.

King Tut wrote:

Bring it bee-otch B)

King Tut wrote:

Sorry for not getting back to you sooner. I’ve been trying to play catch-up since our trip to Germany.

Like Don said, he’s going to be instructing (those who can do, those who can’t teach :cheer: How’s that for some smack - bam!)
As far as I know, those requests are generally honored, so go for it.

There are some other e30 guys in the region, but off the top of my head I don’t think any of them instruct.

See you in October!

BigKeyserSoze wrote:

Here’s a link to my video - you’ll find some Sebring stuff in there. The track looks different in an e30 versus a Porsche GT3 versus a sport racer.

http://www.sunburnracing.com/Black_Site/Sunburn_Racing/Sunburn_Racing.html

I checked the registration today and I see only 3 Spec E30s registered for this event. I can’t believe that no one in the southeast (or anywhere else) wants to do Sebring?

Yep, I was hoping to see some more as well. It is nice to see that you will be there though Al. Now onto parking. I’ve never been to Sebring, but it would be nice to have all the E30s parked close by. Where do you guys park Natalie? I’m planning on dropping my trailer and unloading the car on Friday after 5pm.

Yes, I’m disappointed that our challenge to the driving skillz & manhood of the SE guys didn’t actually get anyone to make the trip. Such is life. I haven’t heard yes or no yet from Michael Strasser. Hopefully he makes it so we have at least four.

I’m planning to be there as close to 5pm as possible to get a garage space and unload.

I’m usually in the set of garages along the front straight, in the area closer to turn one. Who ever gets there first, do your best to save some spots - but don’t piss people off if you get challenged - some people are sensitive to the whole saving space thing.

Al K, when are you planning to arrive?

Scott, where are you going to set up?

Do we want to plan a SpecE30 dinner out Friday or Saturday? We can throw some more ice down Scott’s pants B)