Simulation Training Introduction

Hi Guys…

Just checking in and making an initial post in this section for all things simulator (and racing, of course). Myself and Mike Courtney will be monitoring this E30 Forum so we can pass on to you things we’ve learned over the last 12 years of using simulators to train drivers. We might even have a few posts from Scott Pruett in here from time to time, too!

I will attempt to limit my comments and answering your questions around the topic of simulators. But the topic crosses over into any type of basic hand-eye coordination sport and the resulting training necessary to improve performance. Understanding the human mind, how it works and how it manages to pilot a race car at 150 mph - or fly an F19 at 500 mph and take care of all the detailed multi-tasking that both require, is a key to maximizing your training. You will only perform as well as you have trained. That is almost a law of the universe!

More on all of this as we dive into the world of race car simulators and how they can be used effectively to improve driver performance during the race!

This will be fun!

Best
Tom Pabst
Pro Racing Simulators

Welcome Tom,

What simulators programs have you used to train drivers with?

Is there anything you would recommend that is a must have?

EP,
The software we use currently as a base program in our training simulator is GTR2. Although, it is nothing like the original “game.” The original 15-20 cars and tracks included in it we don’t even have installed anymore. We use about 200 tracks (some hand built by me) and about 300 cars. I have full programming capability of all car physics files but the key reason we use it because the tire modeling is the best of all current “racing games” on the market. Particularly after we do our programming. I work with two engineers at Ganassi Racing on the tire models.

For home racing rigs I would take a look at rFactor2 and of course, for basic race gaming software with good fundamentals, iRacing is worth investigating. Also Race07 is decent though limited to Euro tracks and Euro GT cars.

Though GTR2 is long out of production, you can still find it quite easily on the net. I would recommend it if you have some computer skills ability so you can download and install the many mods created for it over the last few years. That would be first choice, in my humble opinion.

Hope that answers your question?

Best,
Tom

[quote=“Tom_Pabst” post=64386]EP,
The software we use currently as a base program in our training simulator is GTR2. Although, it is nothing like the original “game.” The original 15-20 cars and tracks included in it we don’t even have installed anymore. We use about 200 tracks (some hand built by me) and about 300 cars. I have full programming capability of all car physics files but the key reason we use it because the tire modeling is the best of all current “racing games” on the market. Particularly after we do our programming. I work with two engineers at Ganassi Racing on the tire models.

For home racing rigs I would take a look at rFactor2 and of course, for basic race gaming software with good fundamentals, iRacing is worth investigating. Also Race07 is decent though limited to Euro tracks and Euro GT cars.

Though GTR2 is long out of production, you can still find it quite easily on the net. I would recommend it if you have some computer skills ability so you can download and install the many mods created for it over the last few years. That would be first choice, in my humble opinion.

Hope that answers your question?

Best,
Tom[/quote]

I used GTR2 for fun and tried some iRacing. Got real into the whole thing for a while then life got busy. iRacing doesn’t really allow for race training without spending copious amounts of time on it. Then again, that was a couple of years ago and it might be different now.

I thought for track experience, the iRacing was really good as the track maps were great. If you haven’t been to a track before, you can probably download (read: pay) for the map from them and drive it with a relatively similar car.

I was up at the simulator last week working with Mike Courtney, and it was an awesome experience. I highly recommend it. I am planning on scheduling another session with coaching from Mike.

I have iRacing and can try to answer questions regarding it. I haven’t purchased any of the really ‘professional level’ cars; highest thing I own is the Mustang which, if you set it up a bit from baseline, can replicate the SE30 pretty well. Tracks are spot-on. I know Peter Krause uses iRacing to teach VIR and probably some others. It does have a steep learning curve but once you master the transition from reality to game, it’s not bad.

I thought the Barber car was extremely close to reality. Even sounded the same. Used to love driving those things.

I bought myself rfactor for christmas. All the tracks are user created or taken from other simulators because the original game didn’t have any licensed content. I think I spend 8 hours trying to get add ons to work and an hour driving. Eventually I was able to do autobahn south in 142 in the spec miata and then put it away for the next 3 months. Rfactor2 looks like it’s going to be good and has some really advanced tire modeling and track drying features.

Hi Guys,
My apologies for being absent this “Simulator” forum for two weeks. I lost my primary workstation motherboard and still don’t have it back and operational. I’m using a temporary computer just for email and Internet. I expect to be back up fully by the end of next week.

NOTE: If you have a question or want to discuss something particular element of using simulators to improve driver skills, please make a “New Topic” post. Otherwise, this single thread will get cumbersome to navigate and find information later.

Thanks,

Tom

[quote=“Tom_Pabst” post=64946]NOTE: If you have a question or want to discuss something particular element of using simulators to improve driver skills, please make a “New Topic” post. Otherwise, this single thread will get cumbersome to navigate and find information later.
[/quote]
In other words, “Don’t pollute my advertising thread with questions about other products.” :whistle:

Can’t really beat iRacing right now. There may or may not be ‘better’ tire models but the service is solid.

Steve,
I think I’d be consistent with Internet Forum usage no matter what the topic or industry that a “thread topic” is set by the first post. This thread’s topic is my simple introduction of myself and offering to answer questions from the E30 drivers who use this Forum about anything relative to practice/training using racing simulators.

Is this a tongue and cheek form of advertising? Not even close. I have been training pro and amateur drivers in my Infineon shop location for over 11 years and the local racing community is highly aware of my presence and what we offer. I don’t need to advertise to the local E30 group of drivers. Any driver not in the Infineon Raceway (SFO) area is not a potential customer.

You should also know that I was asked to partcipate in this new E30 topic forum on driver training using simulators and I do so completely on a volunteer basis.

Best,
Tom