Skidplate solution. Request for comments

http://e30motorwerks.com/index/services/fabrication/19-skid-plates

It’s nice and robust, but not currently legal because it attaches to frame rails instead of attaching to the lower radiator support. If you guys like the idea, I’ll write a rule change request. That doesn’t guarantee the rule change will get passed, mind you, but if there is a consensus in support of it, the likelihood of it getting passed is probably good.

I heard one report of it weighing 20lbs.

An argument could be made that since it fastens to the frame rails, it adds rigidity to the front clip. Altho that’s possible, the mount points are so close to the radiator support that it would be hard pressed to add more stiffness unless the radiator support is weak. When a person designs a brace for a structure, they put it where there is no brace…they don’t put it right next to another brace. Note that the front of the frame rails are also a long ways from suspension mount points.

Personally, I don’t have strong feelings about this, but folks were talking about it at Road Atlanta last weekend so I figured I’d bring it up. There are some high end oil pan solutions out there, the Paul Poore pan being one of them. If I had a pricey pan I’d want some serious protection for it. In my opinion the 20lbs outweighs the significance of any possible bracing. Pun intended of course.

The way I read the rule, as long as it 1) is attached to the lower radiator support 2) is attached to the front subframe and 3) doesn’t exceed 20" x 26", it should be legal.

Nowhere does the rule say that it cannot attach to additional points or the old wording of “single sheet” or “not thicker than X”.

As far as the one linked above, as long as the dimensions fit and you fabricate some type of bracket to “attach” it to the rad support and subframe, it sounds like it should be legal. The 20"x26" would be the only potential issue.

Anyway, that’s my interpretation. I could be wrong.

Matt

PS. I have no intention to buy one, so don’t take this as an endorsement or effort to have this as an accepted part.

The way I read the rule, as long as it 1) is attached to the lower radiator support 2) is attached to the front subframe and 3) doesn’t exceed 20" x 26", it should be legal.

Nowhere does the rule say that it cannot attach to additional points or the old wording of “single sheet” or “not thicker than X”.

As far as the one linked above, as long as the dimensions fit and you fabricate some type of bracket to “attach” it to the rad support and subframe, it sounds like it should be legal. The 20"x26" would be the only potential issue.
[/quote]
Ah so, I think you’re right. The rule might have been intended to say the skid plate can “only attach” as described, but the rule fails to say actually say it. There’s no way a native English speaker could read the rule and say “not allowed to attach to frame rails”. Hell, attach the skid plate to the radiator support with a zip tie. Surely zip ties are a legit fastening device. Half my car is held together with them.

Y’all…if you stay on the track you don’t need a skit plate:evil: :evil: :evil:

Thanks Chuck .

SE types. Robert and I talked about this and we’re good with this skidplate. We’ll ask Carter for confirmation so we can be covered for Nationals.

That seems like overkill, and a lot of needless weight in the one place you are trying to reduce it.

The existing skid plates on the market are more than adequate IMHO. We have had enough off tracks shenanigans in PRO3 (including a launch of my buddies car in to a ditch that wrapped the skid plate around the oil pan) and nobody has had need for anything more robust than what is already out there.

Plus, if you take a hard hit on the existing skid plates, you may rip up the lower radiator support, as opposed to possibly tweaking the frame rails? I will take replacing the radiator support any day.

Also, couldn’t this be seen as additional frame stiffening since you are going across the front subframe?

discuss…

I have first hand experience with both types. The E30 Motor Werks skid plate on my S52 swapped E30. The Race Skids plate on my SpecE30. They are both nicely made. Both were good people to do business with.

For outright protection the E30 Motor Werks plate is great. It gives me peace of mind on the street. (Ever see how low the oil pan rides on a 24V swapped E30?) However, as mentioned that protection comes at a cost…weight where you least want it. As for adding chassis stiffening, well maybe, but any benefit is probably negated by the weight on the nose.

If your local track is peppered with raised manhole lids or particularly nasty curbing, maybe the weight penalty is worth it to you. I didn’t think it was and I also doubted the legality. So I installed the Race Skids plate on my SpecE30.

The Race Skids plate is lighter, but it still has some heft to it. The weak link is the relatively wimpy metal it bolts to under the radiator. It may not offer the same level of protection from a really hard direct impact, but I’m confident it will “skid” over the curbs and such I’m likely to encounter.

Thousands of street miles later with the one skid plate and several track days later with the other, I still think I made the correct choices for my two applications.

Andrew,“Race Skids” where do I find them?

Thank you.

RP

[quote=“Patton” post=75337]Andrew,“Race Skids” where do I find them?

Thank you.

RP[/quote]
http://www.raceskids.com/products/race-skids/e30-m20-details

I have one of these on my e28. It’s a nice piece. It wouldn’t work for my e30 tho because my “no oil cooler” setup requires big holes in the front of the skid plate so air blast cools the oil pan.

Thanks, Scott, but at $239 I’ll have to pass.
Heck, I’ve purchased entire cars for $239.

RP

No, not cheap, but again peace of mind. It was a one time investment to save me future costs and headaches. I’d rather not lose track time due to cracking my oil pan in the middle of a weekend. Cracked oil pan is exactly what took out the E30 I was co-driving in the ChumpCar 24hr at VIR this year. $239 would have kept us in the game for those last 6 hours.

Truth may have changed on the weight of the Motorwerks skid plate. New truth is 20lbs. I’ll change that in the first post.

That sounds better. I never weighed mine, but I know it’s not 40lbs or whatever was initially quoted.

Most places that sell steel also have sheets of aluminum in any thicknesses 1/8 in. up to 3 in…
You have them cut a piece to 20x26 and you build you own skid plate. All you need is a drill to drill holes in it for air, and a big hole saw to drill a hole so you can get to oil plug. You will need a band saw or jig saw to cut out for shape of oil pan. Bending the angle you need to bolt to the radiator support is the hard part. I took my (after breaking 2) to a body shop and they bent it for me. I made a pattern out of heavy cardboard to get the exact shape,size and bend first. Had it all drilled and to size before I had it bent.

Have many hit on mine and never hurt my oil pan.
I have about $50 in my and a few hours labor.
Aluminum comes in many hardness and you can get it as strong as steel.

I have a friend that sell all kinds of aluminum and he told me that I could build one in aluminum the would be just as strong as steel and would be a lot lighter.

I see a skid plate as doing two things. The obvious is protecting the oil pan. A secondary function, if the plate is robust enough, is to prevent the front subframe from taking a hit. To me that means a well supported steel structure of reasonable thickness.

Jim

Don’t know how to test the strength of metals had to trust the guy who sell it that that the type of aluminum is as strong as steel.
You know more about metals than I do I am sure.
The plate I built has never bent and how have hit lots of high apex’s.
Lots of skid marks on it.

How are you feeling?
Miss you at MIR

Aluminum alloys can have tensile strengths in the 200-400Mpa range. Steel can have a tensile strength more than 10 times that. Anyone that says that an aluminum alloy is just as strong as steel doesn’t know what they are talking about.

You know best.

You still have not said how are you feeling.