Special tools Idea

Just a thought but what about a list of the special tools we own and would be willing to loan/rent out to each other. We could use paypal or something to cover shipping expenses. interesting or folly?

Sean,

I like the idea, but it probably only makes sense for tools that are hard to find or those that cost more than $25. I have a lot of tools having restored /built 5 cars over the last 20 years and would be happy to share them.

On a related issue, what about getting a spare parts list together for those in the MA region. I take spares such as in and out of tank fuel pumps, TPS, ECU, etc. to the track. I also bought a spare rocker arm after watching what happened to Vic Hall at VIR in February. I would hate to have a weekend wasted because of a part failure. I also think that most in the series would rather have more people on the track than sitting in the pits with a broken part.

Ed

I agree…I live close to summit point and have made runs for pars in the past. I will have control arms, tie rods, an ECU and some rocker arms in the wagon for Hfest and there is a complete engine , a parted engine and 2 runners at the house. No one should sit for lack of parts.

I have a good Valve spring compressor, cobetto has the rear wheel bearing tool

does anyone have the subframe bushing tool???

I also bought a spare rocker arm and bought a rocker shaft as well.

Cobetto talked about having some type of parts inventory at all his Mid Atlantic races. I think it’s a good idea and am willing to buy some parts for the "stash."

I have a used Girling master cylinder (the expensive one - about $400.00 retail) and certain cars had them.

At Summit Point, let’s talk about getting an inventory together with a list of who owns what parts so the owner can get paid (or simply replaced) for anything taken out.

Carter

Carter,

I’ve got a bunch of parts that I’d be willing to put in the mix. I don’t ususally bring everything to the track (because it’s just to much to pack and unpack every weekend)

We can discuss particulars at VIR if you’d like and come up with a good system that will help all the drivers/cars stay on track.

OBTW, Dave Dericola has a very similar system. He brings all kinds of spares to the track in his enclosed trailer and loans/sells to his P series racers. Of course the reliabilty of 944’s makes having a ‘traveling parts store’ a nessesity…I couldn’t pass up the chance to take a cheap shot at my old series :slight_smile:

Post edited by: brain, at: 2006/07/03 06:40

Cobetto’s new trailer has room and I am sure he would not be adverse to adding a bin of E30 parts

I have one that I designed and used to change my subframe bushings
on my Z3 Coupe. About 5 other people have used it also. Does anyone
know if the sub-frame bushings on the E30 and the Z3 are the same?
I’ll know the answer to this question soon…

Post edited by: Steven540i, at: 2006/07/10 12:55

Post edited by: Steven540i, at: 2006/07/10 12:57

Steven540i wrote:

[quote]I have one that I designed and used to change my subframe bushings

Post edited by: Steven540i, at: 2006/07/10 12:55<br><br>Post edited by: Steven540i, at: 2006/07/10 12:57[/quote]Powerflex partnumber is the same…Can I rent it?

I’ll be at VIR at the end of the month to pick up parts from Al Taylor and George Perry. If you’re going to be there, I’ll bring it to you then.

If you need it before then, just give your mailing address and I’ll send it on
to you. My e-mail address is Steven540i(at)yahoo(dot)com.

I won’t rent it, but you can borrow it.

Steven

I will be at VIR of course…That would be great to borrow it. I will just bring the subframe and do it there and return the tool the same day.

Post edited by: nasaregistrar, at: 2006/07/10 19:32

Hi Steven,
do you have any drawings/instructions for the &quot;tool&quot;. I think it would be good to have one in my region to loan out.
cheers,
bruce

Steven540i wrote:

[quote]I have one that I designed and used to change my subframe bushings

Post edited by: Steven540i, at: 2006/07/10 12:55<br><br>Post edited by: Steven540i, at: 2006/07/10 12:57[/quote]

I don’t have any drawings, but I could probably get you enough info to build
the tool through photos and a couple of key measurement. E-mail me
and I’ll get you what you need.

The flat piece with the two teeth sticking out is the key piece. I just used a set
of calipers and got the measurements off of the subframe and a friend at work
did the &quot;goverment&quot; work in the machine shop. Also, the threaded rod
has to be hardened 9/16&quot;. Fastenal is a good source for that.

These photos should provide more info:

http://128.83.80.200/mcoupe/iesubframebushings.html

http://www.rfdm.com/SubframeBushings/howto.html

http://www.rfdm.com/SubframeBushings/pics/index.html

Big thanks to Steve and his Subframe bushing tool…they were out in less that 15 minutes…of course having a spare subframe out of the car to work on made it easier but the tool worked marvelously. :slight_smile: