Strut turning bearing. GC vs. Vorshlag

This pic shows the GC bearing design. It’s a pair of hardened washers with some exposed needle bearings inside.

This pic shows how the bearings go into the GC tophat.

This pic shows the GC weight bearing insert that rides on top of the bearings. It has a rubber ring around it to help keep dust out of the bearings.

This pic shows the GC weight bearing piece in place.

Vorshlag. This pic shows the spring tophat on the bottom. Note the large sealed bearing.

I didn’t pull the sealed bearing apart and I don’t have enough experience with bearings to conclusively state that the sealed bearing approach is by definition a better then the not-so-sealed needle bearings. But the diameter of the Vorshlag bearing is about 15% more than the GC bearing and if I had to choose between a sealed design and not sealed, I’d choose sealed.

Win Vorshlag. Larger bearing, better seal for bearings.

This isn’t necessarily a hit on GC. Afaik, the cheaper GC camber plate is good enough.

Found the bearing.

Converted to 1775.99 lbs static axial load which is 99.999% of the load
But!
http://www.rbcbearings.com/ballbearings/axial.htm

Deep groove ball bearings by nature of their design can carry axial loads either alone or in combination with radial loads. Axial load capacity of standard bearings is 0.5 times the Basic Static Load Rating, CO of that bearing. Smaller bearings should not be subject to a load greater than 0.25 times CO. Excessive axial loads can lead to serious reduction of bearing

That is 444 lbs.

VS

Smallest needle bearing I can find.

I would argue in defense of GC here.

To be honest, both won’t fail. Just stop functioning smoothly for different reasons. GC for crud and dust that was attracted into the system. And VL slight notching of the balls and race.