Sunday race format options

At CMP last weekend, Arjun and Robert came up with some ideas re. the Sunday race. I took those ideas to Jim Pantas and he said that he’s happy to run Lightning pretty much however the Lightning types wanted. Then I talked to Spec944 and SpecMiata directors and they said that their classes could be up for various Sunday ideas also.

The purpose of this thread is to start some discussions of different ideas. Once we toss this around a bit, I’ll set up a Survey Monkey and then take those ideas to the other Lightning classes.

Idea 1. Sunday 60min enduro w/ mandatory 5min pitstop. The charm of this idea is that it lets folks easily share a car. Consider that in the context of someone who would otherwise sit Sunday out because of Saturday mechanical problems or a Saturday incident that disabled their car. Annual points would accrue to the owner of the car. If this was weekend with 3 race groups, we would have to sacrifice Sunday Qual to do this. The grid could be set up per Sat Qual, Sat race best lap, or Sat race finish position. If it was weekend with only Thunder and Lightning race groups, we might be able to keep Sunday Qual. Might.

Idea 2. Sunday Race for Qual. Qual grid is set up in some logical way, that’s easy enough. But then we go out under Yellow and have a short race for Qual. We’d prob get a 20min time slot so an honest 15min of racing. The finish order sets the grid for the Sunday Race. We did this at a couple events some years ago.

Related. There is a fair amount of flexibility at most events to ask for an additional race. We used to do at least one of these each year, and called it an IFU Race…Inverted Field Unlimited, and we’d try to pack in some crazy antics like inverting the field, changing the course midway thru the race…that kind of thing. That option remains available for most events, we just have to organize the idea early enough to give Jim some lead time.

My take on this. I don’t have strong feelings about any of this, I just want folks to have fun. So anything a bunch of folks express interest in, I’ll coord with other classes, if need be, and I’ll try to get it set up. I particularly liked the race-for-qual experiment that we tried. Racing my buddies is a helova lot more fun then doing a TT session, so it was like getting a 3rd race in the weekend for free.

The bottom line is that you guys are the customers and to the extent possible, Jim is happy to accommodate us. So any idea that gets an enthusiastic response from a couple dozen guys is likely to happen. The challenge, for anyone that wants to advocate this sort of thing, is to get your buddies jumping up and down and exclaiming “that’s awesome, lets do it, I’m totally in”.

I’m up for anything. The Sunday Enduro sounds pretty cool as does IFU. Race for Qual sounds a bit risky. One more chance to wreck some cars before the actual race. Especially since everyone will be eager to get a great start since it is a short race.But I’ll go along with whatever the cool kids want to do.

Can’t make it but remember if you allow fueling you have to have a crew member standing by in full gear with an extinguisher. Doubt everyone will have that.

The first few seasons of NASA we would run a Sunday qualifying and race for points and then use a third session to have a fun race. I was a big fan of the extra track time but the story goes that National clamped down and wanted consistent formats across regions. It sounds like that’s loosening up so let’s find a way for more race time, that’s why we are here anyway. Here’s what you’ll hear (or won’t hear until its too late) from the naysayers:

• Points races need to have the same format Saturday and Sunday so you can’t mess with structure
  • I’m not going to run a fun race after the points race because I don’t want the wear and tear on my car
  • How will sanctions work if someone does something stupid in one of these “fun races”

Let’s all remember that we’re racing for a block of wood and some bragging rights. I’d be proud to be the “fun race” champion for the season because I’m only there to have fun anyway. This is a long post that says I’m up for anything that creates more race time

I like the idea of the 60 minute race, but Brian also has a good point about refueling. I’m up for anything that gives us more race time, whether that’s longer races, an extra fun race, or a qualifying race.

They did a Poker Run in the Thunder group at NCM. Not sure what they did but I know it involved pitting. Aussie pursuit would also be an option, especially if you have a longer race.

Are y’all saying you can’t go 60 minutes without refueling? In a “real” endurance race I can see the need for refueling and everything that goes along with it. A 60-minute race is basically a slightly longer sprint. Can’t imagine having to refuel or swap drivers.

The idea is to make it easy to swap drivers. The only way to do that is a mandatory pit stop.

Again, why swap drivers for a 60 minute race? I guess maybe if the point is to allow people to share a car if they really want to. I’d say there should be the option for a single driver to drive the whole thing (while still having to pit like everybody else). I’d love to participate but anybody I could think to have as a codriver would already have a car of their own to race.

I also still say that there’s no need to fuel for a race this short.

I like the thinking outside of the box. Whatever makes it fun. I’m up for anything. Lamenting the fact that work kept me away from CMP this month, and looking forward to racing with y’all next year.

You are adding complexity that wasn’t specified. The only requirement would be a mandatory 5min stop. No one said there would be a requirement to change drivers, nor a requirement to add fuel. The purpose of the 5min stop is simply to allow for those things if people wanted to.

No need to guess if maybe the point is to allow people to share the car. Creating an opportunity for the person with a broke-dick car to share someone else’s car is the whole point of the idea.

[quote=“Ranger” post=83024]You are adding complexity that wasn’t specified. The only requirement would be a mandatory 5min stop. No one said there would be a requirement to change drivers, nor a requirement to add fuel. The purpose of the 5min stop is simply to allow for those things if people wanted to.

No need to guess if maybe the point is to allow people to share the car. Creating an opportunity for the person with a broke-dick car to share someone else’s car is the whole point of the idea.[/quote]

Was originally responding to Edmond’s comment about having fire extinguisher on-hand for refueling. My point is we shouldn’t need it as we shouldn’t need to refuel. So you and I are in agreement. Good point on broken dicks.

Even though our cars can run for 60 minutes, (most anyway), I think making weight at the end w/o a few gallons might be problematic for some.