Suspension bushing material "replacement"

I noticed that there was a rule change:

3.5. “Replaced” means that the item may be replaced with items meeting [strike][color=#ff0000]or exceeding[/color][/strike] OEM specifications.

So, how does this affect the bushing rule?

9.3.8.8. Suspension bushing material replacement is permitted.

I know a lot of people use poly, delrin, spherical/aluminum, etc bushings, but per the new rule, it seems like only rubber is legal?

We don’t have clarification on the strike-out of “or exceeding” yet. I agree that a lot of (most?) people are using non-rubber suspension bushings, me included. So either the clarification is going to say non-rubber bushings are ok, or you and your non-rubber bushings are going to have lots of company in Impound. I’d bet on the former.

A clarification, retraction, or change in 9.3.8.8 on that is needed immediately. As written most, if not all, cars would be illegal due to the use of poly, delrin, or aluminum bushings.

Law of unintended consequences???

Nonsense! The actual wording has always been ignored, and we take the rule to mean oem or better. No one has ever payed any attention to what the oem specs actually are when it comes to bushings.

If the wording did mean anything then you can’t exceed specifications without meeting them, and if you exceed the specifications you also meet them. The words were probably eliminated because they were redundant.

I disagree. The original working allowed for parts that met OR EXCEEDED, OEM specs. Which clearly allows for poy, delrin, aluminum, etc., bushings. The rule as it exists now would exclude all of those.

If your interpretation is correct then it would mean the exact same thing as substituted.

Where are all the lawyers on here?

What is the spec for a rubber bushing? Is “spec” a reference to size only or is material part of the spec? In what sense does any OEM doc that we have access to show us a spec for parts? IMO these questions have no useful answer because the word spec is too broad. Better to go at issues one at a time.

I would say that “OEM specifications” means a part that is equal to the OE part in design, fit, and performance, i.e., a direct substitute for the OE part.