Tire Rack carries RA1's now

But they don’t seem to be any cheaper. Phil’s, Bob Woodman, and Sasco get bonus points for their trackside support effort.

Can you redeem Toyo bucks with them?

One good thing I can say about Tire Rack is that they deliver fast. I ordered RA1’s on Wednesday and they are scheduled for delivery on Friday. That is faster than I’ve ever gotten them before.

Jlevie, better maximize your ‘unfair advantage’ of running Hoo-Hoos or whatever you been burning at CCA events this year. I have no inside info, but a CCA/SE30 rule change for 2013 to make the RAs mandatory, since TR now carries them doesn’t seem out of the question.

I agree (also no inside info) that a CCA/SE30 rule change could come in 2013 to require RA1s. I for one will be doing quite a few CCA races this season and will be running RA1s. No sense in carrying around more sets of wheels and tires. I am hopeful that in the spirit of parity most guys who cross over will run the Toyos. We’ll see…

After rereading my original post, I was afraid it could be misinterpreted as directed specifically at Jim. Nothing of the sort. To clarify, my reference to ‘unfair advantage’ was used in admiration for the way Donohue/Penske competed in the 60s/70s. They found fully legal loopholes and drove their semi right through them. The 25-foot high refueling rig, for example, was genius. I was using Jim as an example because he is making a point of participating in CCA events this year, in addition to his NASA racing. It was something of an inside joke, since we talked about tires at Sebring.

My real point is that my understanding is that the reason the tires are ‘free’ in CCA is because title sponsor has never carried RA1s up to now, and to do otherwise would have been awkward for CCA. Since the supply issue with TR is now moot, I would not be surprised to see that freedom removed in the future.

So, bottom line, to race in the SE30 class at a CCA event and run something other than RAs that provides an advantage is what I said up front, to prepare to the fullest extent of the rules.

^^^ Agree 100%. I just choose not to spend the money. Plus, it’s more important for me to learn how the car behaves at certain tracks with the RA1s and use that data/experience for NASA races. It looks like in the northeast we’ll have generally two SE30s at each CCA race (me and Kish) and we’re both sticking to Toyos. I am going to bring up the Toyo thing to the North Atlantic director when we’re at the Glen next week, just to put it in their minds.

I would not be surprised to see a rule change for 2013 for the tires now that Tire Rack carries Toyo’s. But until then, with the tire brand left open there are faster tires than the RA1’s for Club Racing events. The BFG R1’s that I have now for CCA events are just about done for in terms of heat cycles, so maybe Ho-Ho’s next.

@Jeff, There may be three SE30’s at Mid Ohio…

Jim, if you are referring to the Memorial Day CCA race…Kish and I are going to be at NJMP racing with NASA that weekend. :frowning:

Well poo. I was hoping for some SE30’s at the Memorial Day event.

Hmm…villagers wanted SM-6’s for Spec Pinata in SCCA and NASA but NASA stays with RA-1. Toyo comes out with a new slick for 2012 in various sizes, just not yet 205/50-15. Anyone see where I am going with this? :whistle:

Well poo. I was hoping for some SE30’s at the Memorial Day event.[/quote]

you know you can race with 10+ cars at a NASA mid Ohio event :slight_smile:

Has any one had experience with Tire Racks tire shaving or heat cycleing. It looks like they only offer 4/32 but you may be able to special order different depths.

4/32’s is about right for RA1’s. More than that just reduces the life of the tires and less leads to slower times.

Help me out here; why does shaving to say 5/32’s reduce the life of the tire? If the latest RA1s are similar in composition to the old RA1s, they should not cycle out and more rubber should make them last longer right?

Help me out here; why does shaving to say 5/32’s reduce the life of the tire? If the latest RA1s are similar in composition to the old RA1s, they should not cycle out and more rubber should make them last longer right?[/quote]
IMO that “new RA1’s are as good as the old RA1’s” theory is a long ways from being proved.

I will have to agree that the new RA1 is not the same as the old. At Mid-Ohio this April, I ran a BMW event with my old, 10+ heat cycle '09’s and 2 weeks later at a NASA event ran 2 seconds slower on brand new 50th week of 11, 4/32 shaved RA1’s from with 2-3 heat cycles. The 09’s are between 3-4/32 tread.

09’s are wearing beautifully. 11’s grained terribly and wearing unevenly.

Same driver, same car/setup, same track, different tires.

[quote=“barkerdm” post=65381]I will have to agree that the new RA1 is not the same as the old. At Mid-Ohio this April, I ran a BMW event with my old, 10+ heat cycle '09’s and 2 weeks later at a NASA event ran 2 seconds slower on brand new 50th week of 11, 4/32 shaved RA1’s from with 2-3 heat cycles. The 09’s are between 3-4/32 tread.

09’s are wearing beautifully. 11’s grained terribly and wearing unevenly.

Same driver, same car/setup, same track, different tires.[/quote]
Interesting, but when I think of fast RA1’s, I think of 2006-2008.

The 09s are way better too.

Help me out here; why does shaving to say 5/32’s reduce the life of the tire? If the latest RA1s are similar in composition to the old RA1s, they should not cycle out and more rubber should make them last longer right?[/quote]

I think you had that backwards Fish. Jim was trying to say if you shave to 3/32 you are reducing life and if you shave to 5/32 you are getting slower times. I know I won’t be trying 5/32 anymore after my Roebling experience. I ran the full weekend, and they still don’t look like 4/32 shaved tires. I’m hoping they will be fastest right before they cord like I am used to.