To those with adjustable rear camber/toe...

I’m going to post this in the suspension forum, but I’m wondering if anyone local has the rear weld in adjusters for rear camber and toe. I was wondering where you can take the car to get an alignment after the adjusters have been welded in.

I have a friend at a BMW dealer but I was wondering if there were any local shops that could take care of this for me. I also have front camber plates.

The car is not a spec e30 car, but I was wondering if anyone knew of any places that do alignments on track prepped cars.

Thanks.

Not sure where in the NE you are located but try Paul Poore 215-766-2555 or Chris at Bimmerparts http://www.bimmerparts.com/ They’re both located in Bucks County PA and may be able to help.

Dealers often aren’t comfortable with the non-standard. Any independent alignment shop ought to be able to handle this. Just write down exactly what you want and ask them if you can see their alignment computer when they are done. You need to wait there too so they can consult you if there are problems getting those nonstandard settings.

Since you’ll be waiting there, you might want to be the first person in the morning.

It’s time to create a relationship with a local indy.

rsott59 wrote:

If you are outside of Philly and in the bucks area those names are good ones. If you are in the Chester County area let me know and I have a few other options.

Don’t let them over torque the bolts on your camber plates. The plates are only aluminum and mechanics like to over-torque.

Ranger wrote:

[quote]
It’s time to create a relationship with a local indy.[/quote]

I agree with Scott. My alignment guy gives me a call when he gets the car up on the lift so I can come sit in the car while he sets it up like I want. You would be amazed how the toe and camber can change with your weight in the car.

Wow, wasn’t expecting this to get this many replies so quickly, thank you very much!

My friend at the dealer is one of my best friends so I’m pretty sure he’ll be able to handle it, but he’s not too versed in aftermarket upgrades so I was interested in finding some other options.

I’m located in Hunterdon County (08801).

I am willing to trailer the car somewhere within reasonable distance as long as the price is reasonable. Bucks Co. is looking pretty good…I just want someone who knows what they’re doing with aftermarket suspension.

And this car is mainly for the street and the occasional track day/autocross so I am open to some alignment settings.

Thanks!

If you put any amount of street miles a year on the car around 10,000 or more don’t go too crazy with negative camber, you will just burn out the insides of your tires really fast. Like every 7 to 10 thousand and you wont pass inspection. Just max out the factory specs for now. As you track it more or drive it less on the street keep adding in negative camber based on the type of tires you will run. If you are on R tires you will start to move over 2.5 deg negative and your tire life on the street will suffer. Its a compromise at the end of the day.

It’s not that much of a compromise. Insufficient neg camber will accelerate wear on the track so much that the tires will be toast in a hurry.

Didn’t see this until now, but in addition to Paul and Bimmerparts, there’s Dave Deerson in South River. His runs/owns T&Z auto service 732-257-2664. He races in spec miata and is also the head of tech for NE (has a badass tube frame fiero with a corvette engine too), so dealing with a race car isn’t a hassle. He isn’t too far from you and is another good resource for us Jersey folk.