VIR Oktoberfast results

It was a mixed success. Weather was not good. Grid procedures were not good. Both my car and I took some damage. SpecE30 bonding was fabulous.

I missed qual because I broke a wheel stud 30min prior. Andrew@Drive-Gear had a torch and because I’d brought a Coleman grill, I had propane so the red locktite got burned out and I was able to replace the wheel stud pretty quickly.

Altho if it had not been for Andrew’s hand sledge, I’d still be in the paddock trying to bang off my rear brake rotor with my “sissy hammer”, as termed by Andrew.

Sat race 1 was a grid goatscrew. I was in a line of prob 25cars trying to get into the false grid. Somehow grid personnel had adopted a technique that required a 2min conversation with each driver. Even after I got the heck out of the line and tried to get around the grid personnel to join my SpecE30 compadres, the grid workers stopped me. That was irksome. I was strongly reminded of the classic “I’m 7th” video. So me and 3-4 other SpecE30s started some 30 cars back from the rest of the SpecE30s.

I had no idea how to race VIR on the rain so I just tippy toed around for the short race. It was quite unsatisfying.

Sat Race 2 looked much more promising. The weather cleared up and with resolution I drove right past the grid personnel studiously ignoring their desire to have a 2min conference with me. Since I missed qual I gridded last or nearly so.

It was to be a short race.

Somewhere about the exit of turn 2 I caught a glimpse of trouble in front of me. I saw Sandro astride the track moving to the right. It was just a glimpse because there were numerous cars between us.

Not being sure what kind of mess I’d find once I got to where Sandro actually was, I decided to be cautious and go ahead and get into the grass to the left.

About 1sec later, to my very great surprise, I found Sandro now sliding off the track to the left, and therefore right in front of me. I did what I could to avoid him, but I was already in the grass so my traction was limited. I fought it to the end and because it didn’t look to me much of a hit, didn’t bother taking my hands off the wheel at the last second. Which is when my wrist got crunched.

I was really surprised to get hurt by such a no-account impact. I was highly annoyed with myself for failing to let go of the damned steering wheel.

Sandro, drove over to me and with concern etched on his face hollered “are you all right”. Furious with myself for getting hurt, I hollered back “No”.

So there I sat with a car with unknown damage and a tweaked wrist. After spending a couple minutes cussing about my bent wing, I decided to drive off somewhere such that there’d be no yellow for me. I got maybe 50m but the car was apparently worse off then I’d thought so I drove over to a wall and parked. Later we would figure out that the problem was that my air dam was caught under the car.

Then I was stuck in a dilemna. We are supposed to stay in our car under these circumstances but my left hand was inop. It occurred to me that if someone banged into me and I needed to get out of my car in a hurry, I was going to be in trouble.

I was right next to the wall, so it wasn’t going to be far to walk. I spent the next several minutes struggling with my steering wheel quick release but with one hand I couldn’t get it undone. So finally I just squirmed out of the cockpit as best I could, stepped over the railing of the wall, camped out in the trees, and watched the rest of the race. I spent a lot of time grinding my teeth over how inconvenient a bent wrist was going to be. I had a car to fix and the next race weekend was in 2 weeks at CMP.

If you’re going to hurt your car tho, do it at VIR. The Reverend Al, made multiple trips home to get me the parts I’ll need to repair the damage. Hood, R fender, passenger door, radiator support structure, strut housing and bumper. Early prognosis is that my frame is ok so not that big of a deal really. It’s the darn wrist that’s going to be a handicap.

My thanks to Andrew and the Graces for feeding folks and in so doing creating a SpecE30 bonding central. Also thanks to the guys that helped me load my gear this morning.

I’m probably out for CMP in 2 weeks. Even if I get some help from Al and Rich to replace my bent sheetmetal, no matter what the xray says tomorrow it’s unlikely my wrist will be strong enough in 2 weeks to race.

Not a great weekend at VIR for me. The above incident involving Sandro, Ranger, and Julio was caused by my failure to keep four wheels on track in turn one. As I tried to re-enter the track, the rear of the car broke left pointing me dead center of the track. Sandro took evasive action to steer clear and bumped Julio the in right rear with his front right wheel. This caused a hell of a spin in front of me that ended with three very good cars and three great people being damaged. I felt I had a pretty solid weekend but this one mistake ruined it for many, including myself. Sorry to everyone involved. Wish it could have ended differently.

I looked at my video. I was doomed. I had eyeballs on Sandro when he was going off to the right so I went left. While I lost sight of him he magically changed directions 180deg and went off to the left instead.

After reviewing the video numerous times, I still can’t figure out how he ended up on the left. Sandro, did someone hit you and knock you leftward?

https://vimeo.com/76840830

Pretty obvious to me what happened…since I did nearly the same thing at the last HPDE I was at. His wheels are turned, so when he finally regained traction it just rolled backwards right into your path. Would have been a great move if not for a guy named Ranger cruising through the grass.
:pinch:

Just got back from getting the wrist xrayed at a doc-in-a-box. Early truth is that it’s broken. Have to go to an ortho later for a 2nd opinion. I was going to blow that off, figuring no matter what the ortho finds the guidance will be the same…“be easy on it for a while”. I already know that so it’s not useful to pay $500 to hear it. But my subordinates at work all ganged up on me and told me that if I didn’t go to an ortho I was an asshole. So I’ll go.

Ranger, sorry to hear about the whole thing. Looked like a pretty stout whack from the video.

Don’t mess around, get your wrist properly taken care of. Shortcuts now could bite you in the end.

[quote=“Ranger” post=74377]

After reviewing the video numerous times, I still can’t figure out how he ended up on the left. Sandro, did someone hit you and knock you leftward?

https://vimeo.com/76840830[/quote]

Ranger sorry to hear that it’s broken but def go to the ortho my mom broke hers last week and may need an operation. No sence in having long term problems.
From my video when Sandro re entered the track his wheel was turned and when the car got grip to did a perowett and came back left where I almost T-boned him in the passenger door.

bummer, that looked like a pretty solid thump. hope it heals quickly for you.

Ranger, is your car the “we the people” car? If so, I was paddocked right by you and didn’t even know. we need screenname tags, lol.

i guess people have their preferences, but when i’m spinning and have no control, i utilize the two-feet-in rule…brake and clutch. if the brakes are locked up, the car will pretty much go one direction no matter which way it’s pointing. since other drivers tend to steer away from where you’re going, you most often will get missed. it seems most accidents with a spinning car happen when the car is rolling backward and it’s direction is unpredictable.

(at least without ABS, does the ABS module pulsate while rolling backwards?)

I was also the guy that sat behind Espinosa watching him spin between T5 and T5a. I didn’t know whether to go left or right as he was spinning like a top, and meanwhile the whole field passed me on both sides. i’m not sure how i didn’t get rear ended there.

You did, (by me) it just wast hard enough for you to notice. (see video below)

Sat race 1
https://vimeo.com/76869914

Sat Race 2
https://vimeo.com/76862638

Sunday Fun Run
https://vimeo.com/76832850

Had a great weekend in spite of the rain. I managed to stay safe and clean throughout the weekend. The rain started while the SpecE30 field was waiting on the grid to qual so everyone was stuck on full dry tires for the qual session. The first race Saturday was in the rain and I was on full wets. Started 11th and avoided the early issues but lost some places. Finished 13th.

The second race on Saturday was dry, and again after the early issues, I ended up 7th and was able to hold that till the end.

Sunday fun run looked like dry tires were the way to go, but the rain picked up during the race which made them a bad choice shortly after the race started. I ran some solid laps but had my fill a couple laps before the race was eventually black flagged.

oh yea i remember that. it looks like i swerved at you in the snake but someone else was blasting by on the right, so i moved to give him room, looked on my left and you were there so i tried to be as skinny as possible, lol. i did feel the tap and got a little loose. luckily we all came out ok on that one. i think i lost 6 to 8 spots in the first 6 corners. that really sucked.

[quote=“lightningd” post=74389]Ranger, is your car the “we the people” car? If so, I was paddocked right by you and didn’t even know. we need screenname tags, lol.

i guess people have their preferences, but when i’m spinning and have no control, i utilize the two-feet-in rule…brake and clutch. if the brakes are locked up, the car will pretty much go one direction no matter which way it’s pointing. since other drivers tend to steer away from where you’re going, you most often will get missed. it seems most accidents with a spinning car happen when the car is rolling backward and it’s direction is unpredictable.

(at least without ABS, does the ABS module pulsate while rolling backwards?)

I was also the guy that sat behind Espinosa watching him spin between T5 and T5a. I didn’t know whether to go left or right as he was spinning like a top, and meanwhile the whole field passed me on both sides. i’m not sure how i didn’t get rear ended there.[/quote]

If you mean a big decal on the hood with a John Adams quote, yes that was me .

ABS doesn’t know the difference between forward and backwards, it only knows turning wheels. I agree that both feet in makes your cars motion much more predictable. ABS can hose this up tho because it will try to help you regain control when all you really want to do is slide in 1 predictable direction.

I just got in from the ortho “2nd opinion” visit. It’s a fracture of the radius, not one of the tricky little bones of the wrist. Got my second “removable” cast of the day. They’re going to wait a week until the swelling goes down before putting a real cast on. Doc says I’ll be good for RA.

Race 1 i forgot to put the camera in cuz i was scrambling to change tires. Sunday, i forgot to put the memory card back in the camera. ugh. however, i got race 2…

http://youtu.be/cK1D_RLIFbY

second race Saturday, not edited so fast forward to the start of the race…

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UV0_7e65FOw

Bittersweet weekend for TPR. Congrats to Eric.

Many thanks to Danny Parkhurst for driving up and helping me out during Friday’s T&T. As always, thanks to the MA SE30 group for their great hospitality and fun time.

Apologies to Danny for not being able to keep his masterpiece work in place for very long. The backend is bent and the front end is shot. Sorry to see Ranger get hurt, heal up quickly man.

Time to assess future plans.

Julio

[attachment=1996]20131012_1623491024.jpg[/attachment]

[attachment=1997]20131012_1625301024.jpg[/attachment]

some SE30 action in this video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1prdcPaiOAc

EDIT, and another

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hB0QGp91UYg

Ranger, really sorry to hear about your wrist. I hope it gets well soon so you can run the December Road ATL event.

Julio, dang! That is some tough luck. I hope you figure out a solution soon and get back out there.

Overall I had a great weekend. Much better than my first race weekend… I didn’t run into anyone or get run into, woohoo! I had a crappy qualifying spot for Saturday’s races (23rd, but I did manage to drive up to 12th and 15th respectively. Also had some good battles with Harness and Hall trying to hold them off on the last couple laps of both races. Sunday looked promising. I started 11th based on my finishing positions from Saturday. I had driven up to 9th place and was running strong until the electrical gremlins came out to play. The fuel pump relay jiggled out of place and the car died running up the esses. Drove off track left and got towed in after the black flag.

1 ZIP TIE!!! GRRRR

Here are my videos:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QElcAedbpQ0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lkAWNiBVmbc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZAiNqOqQ51M

Really a bummer to see all of the carnage from Saturday. Hope that wrist heals up quick for your, Scott.

I didn’t really have the results I was hoping for but I was glad to simply be able to race after just a week earlier we were taking a saws-all to the front of the car. Big thanks to Rick Mariani and Co. for helping me get it back on track in time for VIR.

There were mixed emotions Saturday night as collectively we had several smashed cars and one broken wrist - but it was great hanging out with everyone at our family dinner and camp fire.

Congrats to Eric and Carter for the wins, both very impressive. And a big thank you and congrats to the Series Director of the Year - Andrew “P1” Zimmerman. Personally I would have had at least a handful of DNS’ over the years (including most recently at WGI) if not for the support from P1 and the DriveGear crew.

I was a little further from the pointy end of the field than I would have liked, but good racing nonetheless - here is my video from Saturday Race #2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=peRFZ9D3hgQ&feature=share&list=UUilwXYsTC4gjsBwN5JW9ekw

Hey Spec E30 drivers -

Feel free to dismiss me as a former participant if you’d like, but I gotta say I am really surprised at the lack of outrage on the boards over the “carnage on Saturday”.

Mistakes in this game of ours can be deadly. Over-aggressive moves have REAL consequences.

Just for shits and giggles, I hit the search tab on this site and looked for the key word “damage”. What comes up? SIGNIFICANT damage to cars at:
VIR October
Road Atlanta September & August
Laguna in July
Summit in June
Road Atlanta in June
CMP in May
VIR in March

For chrissakes what the hell is wrong with this class that we aren’t calling people out publicly when they are at fault? From what I saw at a quick glance, ONE of those incidents (Gags at VIR in March) didn’t involve two cars coming together. ONE. In the rain. All others involved cars getting together.

Here’s a new code of honor for SE30: If you wreck someone, pay for their damage. A Porsche guy did that for me at CMP a few years ago. I did it when I busted a guy’s bumper cover at NJMP. We are supposed to be gentleman racers.

Signed,

Disapponted

Steve, start a new thread. This info will just be lost here.

Signed, tired of the damages, but I’ve made stupid mistakes too,

Patton