What’s Going On In SoCal?

It’s been awful quiet here for a while but a lot has been going on in SoCal.

Shawn Meze has graciously agreed to be the SoCal Region Series Director with Kieran Gobey agreeing to fill the assistant role.

Shawn brings a wealth of NASA experience and has been working behind the scenes with the new region sponsor. I’ll let Shawn make the announcement and fill in the details as things are developing quickly.

A year ago the region started with one active car and quickly moved to four cars, ending the year with six active. There was a tremendous amount of interest by year end, with eight new cars being prepared. We should have 8-9 cars on gird by April.

The group is really developing into a group of friends that want to grow the class and raise the level of competition on the track.

If anyone has been sitting on the fence about building a SpecE30 for SoCal the time is right.

Come on in the water’s fine.

Cheers,
Chris

The majority of the coordination and conversation for SoCal Spec E30 is hosted at: http://groups.google.com/group/socalspece30

We also have Facebook Group for SoCal SE30…

Please join us if you’re interested in the class, even if you’re in HDPE - actually - especially if you’re in HPDE.

Kieran

Why are you guys not talking here on spece30.com?

THis seems like a logical place, except for the fact that Ranger will have something to say :slight_smile:

I hate going to multiple place to get info. I know whine whine whine.

I probably am not up to speed on whats going on with you guys, so drop some posts on here 'cause I do check here often and will probably be joining you all for a few race weekends.

Or if the discussions were supposed to be secret, and I am not supposed to know, then just ignore me…

LOL we have found that the Google email group was very successful in gathering support and momentum… I think the nature of pushing the emails out to interested people has been very successful, for the races and other similar organizational activities, this will be the generally accepted place for notifications.

Can I add you to the group?

We have 19 drivers who have reserved numbers for NASA :o

Well, I am taking a second look at Spec E30 since my time at the Autoclub event. I have been thinking that it might be a different way to go than 944 Spec, but I am just not sure. I have to admit, it would be fun schooling Reed and Gogey!

Yeah I think you school school Reed - as per me I think your kind of beating a dead horse at this point >:)

• I’ll send you an invite to the SoCal mailing list.

:slight_smile:

Just be aware, if to want to school Reed, its going to be twice as hard as there are two of us. :wink:

Oh crap :ohmy: …I forgot about that!

Steve can school Frank and then just stare at you to melt you before you hit the track…

Fooshe is Steven Stepanian… :stuck_out_tongue:

I figure Steve would be an “OK” competitor, I guess LOL - we’re gonna need to give him the wrong schedule.

PLEASE!! Hell, it’s gonna take a few other drivers to help get me in one of these things…but it will take the whole damn village to get me out of it!

Still considering the 944 spec class…tough call.

Just shot Steve and invite to the SoCal SE30 mailing list.

Here is an arguement someone sent me for running Spec E30 over 944 Spec

E30
well-balanced chassis
fairly fast
workhorse motor
fairly bullet-proof
easy to work on
easy to cage
lotta parts avail.
(junkyard & aftermkt)
motor build: cheapish
roomy cabin

well-balanced chassis
fairly faster…
quirky engine design
has some weak areas (motor)
semi-easy to work on
not as easy (cramped)
lo parts are more difficult to source
(not many in junkyards these days
motor build: “Porsche” (need I say more)
not-so-roomy inside

These are the reasons I went with SE30… I used to own a perfectly good Miata, but my height made any cage install a very expensive proposition.