Who’s Where?

Hey So cal get some Spec E30s running and we’ll come join you for the weekend. I am looking forward to running BW again.

the Shoe wrote:

There is hope. Frank Reed and I are having our cars tech’d/log booked at 7’s Only (Buttonwillow)and planning to be ready to roll next week. Friday we will be doing the Central Cal BMW HPDE and Saturday Speed Ventures with Kieran Gobey and Dave Reed.

Assuming we sail through tech with flying colors the Spec E30 field may double in size.
Allan, Steffen and Matt if you are going to be at BW lets all try and pit together. We might confuse the BMW CR group into pitting with us :wink:

I’ll be there. I like the spot we pitted last time when all the Norcal guys came down- by the garages on the east side of the tower. I’m looking forward to meeting the BMW CR guys.

I am in the works of finishing the build on a 1987 325is, doing the motor and some suspension and dependablity fixes. I hope to be running in the next two months and work on my license either through SCCA or start running with Nasa. Stay tuned, I should be out some time this summer late.

bluesnbeemer wrote:

Looking forward to seeing you out there. A number of us are working our way through HPDE with NASA SoCal so there should be plenty of company.

Keep us posted on your progress and if we can help along the way.

Cheers

I’m planning to be at BW. See you all there.

Steffen.

I will be there Fri. night and will be staying for the weekend.

Chris, are you planning on racing or running HPDE?

Should be a great weekend. You guys had me worried, not showing up to the first two events.

Allan

78kona wrote:

[quote]I will be there Fri. night and will be staying for the weekend.

Chris, are you planning on racing or running HPDE?

Should be a great weekend. You guys had me worried, not showing up to the first two events.

Allan[/quote]

Allan, sounds like we’ll have a good group at Buttonwillow.

If tech goes well at 7’s Only (BW) tomorrow, we should have our log book and will be racing.

We’ve missed the early events because all our spare time (and money) has gone into getting the car done. I’ve been a prisoner in my own garage :slight_smile:

It’s been well worth it though, I can finally see the checkered flag on the build.

Wow, what an improvement from last season.
I’ll be out there as well, camping at the track, trying to save money for the Nationals.
I’ll start another thread so I can have a list of all Spec e30 racing at BW 4/17 and 18.
Is there a fee to tech the cars now?

OK, update: 5/3/2010

The frame of the cage is installed, I have a main hoop, 2 drops to the front corners and 2 supports into the trunk welded in place.

Norm, my friend and cousin-in-law welded it up for me, we ground, pounded, scraped and burned a lot of metal this weekend, I am totally exhausted. No wonder the pro’s get $2-3K to put in a cage like this - wowzers.

But I have to say that we have done a hell of a lot to the car to make is race-safe.

Drove it home like a grandma mindful of the metal bars all throughout the car waiting to brain me like a frog in 10th grade science class.

But all the prep work is complete to start the main hoop cross braces and other diagonal braces that will give it the strength required to be completely functional.

Unfortunately this unfinished work leaves me with without a track car until this part is complete and the seat installed, but I am excited never the less. [file name=IMAGE_134_smaller.jpg size=71648]http://spece30.com/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/files/IMAGE_134_smaller.jpg[/file]

Great to hear you are making progress! The cage is a lot of work. Ask me how I know. Did you think about putting the front bars behind the dash? Hope to see you at the track soon.

Yeah we did, but in the end, it came down to livable car on the street, effort of install and a desire to prove the concept of street/race car. :slight_smile:

Spent some time on the interior this weekend.

Got the wiring wrapped in the passenger compartment and zip tied up and to the car to stop it flapping around, also got the sunroof wires trimmed a little and packed away under the dash. I also managed to scrape off the dreaded asphalt sound deadening from the front 2 passenger foot-wells and trans tunnel. I still need to do the back seat, but it can wait.

The fabricated items (cage, sunroof welds, seat mount, belt bolt points & backing plates) got a spray of Primer to resist any further surface rusting. I found some stuff called “Krud buster” that I used to clean the interior and remove the 25 year old dust & grime and oils from the roll cage and clean up the grinder dust/shavings and welding BB’s and used a watered down mix to clean the dash and plastic parts of the interior.

I even went as far as to remove the radio and clean up the trunk and battery box area…

Final touches were to silicone the gap in the roof and adjust the damn trunk to stop it rattling :wink:

Next up:
Camber Plates
Sway bars

Next next:
Seat Back brace
Door bars
Foot-well bars
Dash Bar
Window and right side nets
Extinguisher

Next next next:
License school !!!