Who’s Where?

There seems to be a lot more going on in SoCal SpecE30 for 2010. The future’s so bright, I gotta wear shades B)

I know that Allan and Steffen are getting really close on their builds. Matt looked like he is well on his way, with Spiff just waiting a little longer to really get going.
I spoke to a couple other E30’s at Buttonwillow in November, and they both were going with the Spec build.

Here in the Fresno/Visalia area Frank Reed is picking up a Walter Ford VMWERKS special in a couple of weeks, his brother Dave is not far behind with his VMWERKS build. Frank and I are planning on Buttonwillow April 17-18 being the critical mass date. The Gannes look like they will have their car track ready pretty quickly.

Kieran Gobey needs an E30 to put that new harness in.

Haven’t heard anything from Victor lately, hopefully he is planning on a return to defend his crown.

Now if we can get “Shoe” Nichols to come East instead of North once in a while to show us some NorCal tricks. The central Cal group will probably follow him north when it’s a 100 plus degrees down here.

Anyone got any more info to fill in the blanks or anyone I may have missed?

Looking forward to seeing everyone as all the builds progress.

Chris

I am taking the Miata to Buttonwillow in Feb to do the VARA Comp school to get back into the groove early. My decision will be made within the next 12 months to convert it to a 2002 for VARA or SpecE30 for NASA. To be honest racing with you, Frank and Dave would be killer fun.

Like Chris wrote above: I’m working on my car and hope to get my licence by the end of the year.

Steffen

Aside from a right side net, spec exhaust and some stickers my car is ready to race. I hope to do comp school before the end of the year. I am really glad to see growing interest in the SoCal region. By the time I get my license, maybe there will be some people to race against!
Allan

We as a group also have an open invite from VARA to run with them whenever we need the extra track time in their new modern era run group, there are always reasons for a test n’tune or a non-championship event to try something different out at. This is where they probably fit for us.

Steve F. and I (both from SLO) are planning to run with Nor Cal this year. I think we could be enticed to BW for sure if there is not a conflict with a Nor Cal event. If So Cal gets Spec E30 to field multiple cars I will consider changing to So Cal for 2011. Currently there is just too much attraction to run with the larger field (10-20) cars in NC. They are truly a great group of guys with a special camaraderie. I am happy to lend any support I can, as long as it doesn’t conflict.

Steve and I ran with Speed Ventures at BW last month in our Spec E30s and we enjoy the short 90 mile drive. I would like to get to Willow Springs with the #55 car at least once this year. It looks like I may be able to make some BW events late in the year if my 246k motor holds together.

Keep me up to date and let me know the first event you will have some E30s racing! I think the 10 guys from Nor Cal who ran there last year enjoyed the track and I will bet some will make the drive down to compete for a weekend.

Shoe

I wont be able to make the Willow event next month, but I plan to make the rest this year. My car is pretty much ready to go except for a cage. I’m still driving it to events. I don’t think I’ll get my comp license for another year though

Good to know Shoe, Frank and Chris with 78Kona (Allan) are all SoCal bound. But Frank is also between North and South, his brother is in Sacramento and his car builder is too.

I suspect that because of the attraction of the NorCal tracks that we all would travel up there for events over the next few years, Sear Point and Thunderhill or even Llihrednuht are both wonderful tracks that do pull you the 10 hours required to run them.

OK, the Miata is officially for sale.

kgobey wrote:

HeHe

Welcome back from the dark side.

And it’s sold… now I need s good car.

My goal is to have a street-legal racecar I can drive to the track, beat Frank, Chris and Dave and drive home again (haha)… I need a suitable E30 325 that I would be proud** to drive on the street - yet over time turn into a suitable racing car.

**Proud - as in safe, legal, nice paint, well maintained, SMOG legal, something my Wife won’t be embarrassed to have in the garage. :wink:

Congrats on the sale - quick, jump on that Craigslist link I sent you for the candy apple metallic red 325 with the 20’s You will be stylin!

Figured I’d finally introduce myself since I’m getting close to making this a reality.

I’m Frank, live in Visalia and I’m almost done with my e30.

It’s a '91 318is with a '91 325 motor and drive line. Walter Ford put most of it together and I’ve been working on a number of items to finish it up. I’m planning to race April 17th and 18th at Buttonwillow if I’m able to get it all together by then.

I’ve been instructing with BMW CCA for a number of years now and took the Driving Concepts competition school late last year. It was a great experience and the excitement of the practice starts and runs pushed me over the edge :wink:

So, hope to see you all soon - if my car’s not done by early April I’ll still be at Buttonwillow to lend a hand where I can.

Frank

reed wrote:

[quote]

So, hope to see you all soon - if my car’s not done by early April I’ll still be at Buttonwillow to lend a hand where I can.

Frank[/quote]

Get back in the garage, you have a car to finish :slight_smile:

I know it will ready soon, it seems like the last 10% takes 50% of the time.

cdonnelly wrote:

[quote]reed wrote:

[quote]

Frank[/quote]

Get back in the garage, you have a car to finish :slight_smile:

I know it will ready soon, it seems like the last 10% takes 50% of the time.[/quote]

I would be but I’m not home right now. I am making progress on some parts though - I found an ABS computer (I hope it works in this car), a center console, a spark plug wire holder and that hazard switch etc. wiring harness I’m missing.

I’m going to order up the Team Dynamics soon and work out a plan for my safety gear. Told my wife I need new underwear …didn’t mention that they are nomex and how much they cost though :wink:

Hahaha… Had dinner with Dave last night - got to drive his car - also visited Walter at his shop, I might have a car - negotiations with the Wife need to commence though :)We’ll see.

Car found… it’s up the Wife now…

Excited? LOL f*ck yeah…

Chase yah later.

Kieran

I’m hoping to be racing in April. Unfortunately this economy doesn’t help, but I’ll try my best.
Glad to see other drivers coming this year.

BETO wrote:

[quote]I’m hoping to be racing in April. Unfortunately this economy doesn’t help, but I’ll try my best.
Glad to see other drivers coming this year.[/quote]

Victor, I know exactly what you’re talking about. The car I thought would be finished and on track early last year is now finally done.

We may be able to give you a little company this year.

Steve and Kevin from SLO may come over when they aren’t heading to NorCal.

Got he car home safe, was nice seeing Chris and Frank on my trip back to LA from the Oakland 'burbs. Now, it’s time to asses the car top to bottom and start making a schedule. - excited!