Will IS lip hold up to racing?

I have a chance to get an IS lip with new clips for cheap (nearly Volvo money), but do they hold up to breakage or falling off?

It’s going to get whacked off when you go off track, that’s ok, the early air dams do also. The trick is in engineering a solution that allows holds it in place pretty well, yet doesn’t hold it in place so hard that it gets busted up when it digs into grass/sand/gravel. You want it to come off in one piece so you can fasten it right back on.

My early air dam is held on by 6 flex-ties. The air dam is tougher then the flex ties so when I go for an off-road excursion it’s the flex ties that bust not the air dam.

Throw all of the goober support brackets away. gDon’t go off-road and it will last 6-plus years if you bolt it to the underside of the big bumper.

RP

OOPS, wrong spoiler. Good luck with the '88 and newer front lip/clips.

[quote=“Patton” post=70623]Throw all of the goober support brackets away. gDon’t go off-road and it will last 6-plus years if you bolt it to the underside of the big bumper.

RP

OOPS, wrong spoiler. Good luck with the '88 and newer front lip/clips.[/quote]

Think Ill go with the Osborne garden center solution!

The beauty of the Volvo lip is it flexes. I had an IS lip on my road car, which is lowered with M3 springs. When the lip bottomed a few times it eventually shattered. I drag my Volvo lip all over the place and it just bends and flexes.

You could also just attach it with small zip-ties, so that those will break before the lip does.

I have both in my garage and I stick with the Volvo lip. It’s easier and the benefits of the Is seem pretty minute.

When everyone is talking about the Volvo lip, what are they referring to? year, make, etc. Thanks.

Ran last weekend with the IS lip with garden material attached and it worked well. Easy to detach for trailering.

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=374390

Try this link Ryan. Might help clarify the volvo lip for you. I had to google to find it.

It comes off of these model volvos
88-90 760
90-92 740
91-95 940
92-94 960

Where can I get the Volvo front lips?

For $115 shipped, I got the BMW part from getbmwparts.com.

With this thread in mind, I decided to test it’s durability. I used the BMW plastic clips on the install and then went agricultural, twice, at my last event. I’m pleased to report that the lip remained securely attached.

[quote=“RAAW_Motorsports” post=72287]Where can I get the Volvo front lips?[/quote] So many retorts…I can’t choose.

1. If you’re married, it’s too late. Live with it.

2. If this didn’t get figured out in HS, it’s too late now.

3. For chrissakes, it’s not spelled “volvo”.

4. It’s not the “where” that’s tricky, it’s the “how”.

5. They are everywhere, but the good looking ones can be pricey. If they suck, walk away.

Thanks for the enlightening and so helpful post Scott. This is just what I was looking for.