windshield replacement

i have a guy coming over tomorrow morning to replace the windhsield since it’s cracked and pitted. does it make any difference if the new one is glued in instead of using the factory non-adhesive method?

I stick to nonadhesive factory method. Not difficult and I avoid sticky fingers.

can the existing gasket or seal or whatever it’s called be reused? guy will be here tomorrow am so i probably don’t have time to source a new one.

If the current OE gasket and insert is not dry rotted and still flexible you should be fine. Mine was OK when we did my windshield.

Even though our windshields are pretty cheap you may want to consider a protective film for the new glass. I put one on and felt its easier to replace the film vs get new glass put in since I can do it myself in about 30 minutes. Although three film replacements cost as much as my new glass.

We went through three windshields this season and still have the factory gasket from 1990…seems like the way to go.

We have had several done in the DriveGear cars. Shop around they can be had cheaper if you try. We just had them use their standard material to fill the gap and secure it in place. it was actually clear plastic but if you look at it on the car it looks like chrome.

Andrew
Drive-gear.com
NASA MA Spec E30 series director

thanks for the input everyone, the guy just left and it looks like i don’t have any glass installed, the new one is so clear!

turns out my gasket was in perfect shape (must’ve been replaced in the not too distant past) and was easily reusable.

Do you guys mind sharing how much you paid? Safelite wants arond $280. Doesn’t sound bad to me, but it would be nice to have a reference. THanks

$160

$160 Wow great price. Mine was $200.

Where are you guys sourcing these and are those prices installed?

Re. windshield film. If some of you are able to get the film on such that there’s no visual distortion, you’re better men than I. I ended up doing the top and bottom 8" or so of the window leaving the middle bare.

That windsheild film stuff is expensive. Because Factory3 went off-line I ended up buying a roll. If anyone wants some, tell PM me how much you want and we’ll work out a price. It comes in a 3’ wide roll.

Ranger wrote:

[quote]Re. windshield film. If some of you are able to get the film on such that there’s no visual distortion, you’re better men than I. I ended up doing the top and bottom 8" or so of the window leaving the middle bare.

That windsheild film stuff is expensive. Because Factory3 went off-line I ended up buying a roll. If anyone wants some, tell PM me how much you want and we’ll work out a price. It comes in a 3’ wide roll.[/quote]

Scott, I install clear bras on vehicles as a side business and I’m sure window shield protection film is similar. Bring your roll to RA in March and I’ll see if I can’t cover your windshield.

FishMan wrote:

[quote]Ranger wrote:

[quote]Re. windshield film. If some of you are able to get the film on such that there’s no visual distortion, you’re better men than I. I ended up doing the top and bottom 8" or so of the window leaving the middle bare.

That windsheild film stuff is expensive. Because Factory3 went off-line I ended up buying a roll. If anyone wants some, tell PM me how much you want and we’ll work out a price. It comes in a 3’ wide roll.[/quote]

Scott, I install clear bras on vehicles as a side business and I’m sure window shield protection film is similar. Bring your roll to RA in March and I’ll see if I can’t cover your windshield.[/quote]

That’s cool of you, but I’m done with windshields. The current solution is going to have to last until someone puts a rock into it. I got my ass kicked by repeated attempts to have perfectly clear film on the window. Failure goes down hard.

If your car is still street legal, you are likely insured. Insurance (good ones) will cover 3 replacement windshields a year for $50.

Now that I know the secret to putting in a windshield I won’t ever pay for someone to do it again.

Install the seal in the car.
Cover the inside of the seal in wd40
Stick a cord or thin rope in the seal lip
Press window against seal pull the cord out towards the window
Install the locking peice

5 minutes at most