WSIR 8/11-12??

Anyone planning on going? I assume several of the CR BMW’s will be there racing in GTS (me for one). BETO - I didn’t see you last month at Willow - get out here, the weather’s nice! :stuck_out_tongue:

Steve

Hi, Steve. Are you in GTS1 or 2?

I just bought a KP car and may convert it over to a Spec E30 car next year. I need a new motor. The car does have an E30 M3 J-stock suspension, brakes, and rear diff so that would have to go.

Can a KP car with a stock engine still be competitive or do I really need a cam?

uh60fixer wrote:

[quote]Hi, Steve. Are you in GTS1 or 2?

I just bought a KP car and may convert it over to a Spec E30 car next year. I need a new motor. The car does have an E30 M3 J-stock suspension, brakes, and rear diff so that would have to go.

Can a KP car with a stock engine still be competitive or do I really need a cam?[/quote]

Most people run the E30 325i in GTS1, the more modified ones run in GTS2. The GTS1 power to weight cutoff is 18.50. With a stock motor of say 150 hp that would put you at 2775 weight w/ driver. For GTS2 the power to weight is 14.50 so if you had a 180 hp M20 that would put you at a weight of 2610. The power to weight of a spec E30 is right at the edge of GTS1. If you are running spec E30 weight of 2750 w/driver you need no more than 148 hp.

That’s exactly what I have on my car, stock brakes though. My experience is that an un-cammed KP car is a bit slower than JS cars in a straight line, but can be faster on corners (I normally quailify within a second of most JS cars). I tried the cam route this spring, but blew the motor thanks to piston - valve contact. Honestly, w/o cutting reliefs into the pistons you can’t get a big cam to fit anyways, so I don’t think there’s much power to get. (Anyone with info to the contrary please let me know how!).

Steve

That’s exactly what I have on my car, stock brakes though. My experience is that an un-cammed KP car is a bit slower than JS cars in a straight line, but can be faster on corners (I normally quailify within a second of most JS cars). I tried the cam route this spring, but blew the motor thanks to piston - valve contact. Honestly, w/o cutting reliefs into the pistons you can’t get a big cam to fit anyways, so I don’t think there’s much power to get. (Anyone with info to the contrary please let me know how!).

Steve

Yep, GTS2 for me. I can get down to ~ 2680 lbs post-race weight, and dyno’ed at 156 hp (larger injectors, headers, & m30 afm).

Thanks for the info, Steve and Simon. I’m sticking with a stock engine for now.

sdais wrote:

[quote]Anyone planning on going? I assume several of the CR BMW’s will be there racing in GTS (me for one). BETO - I didn’t see you last month at Willow - get out here, the weather’s nice! :stuck_out_tongue:

Steve[/quote]
I tried, but last minute problems stopped me.
I’ll be there this weekend.
See you there.
And we need more cars for next season because I said so since I’m the new Regional Director for socal, what an honor.
Get you friends to finish those damn cars now, don’t wait until next season, you need seat time with a new car, don’t ask me how I know.:whistle: