944Spec guys' review of the RR

The MW SD and the ND did a 4.5 hour enduro at Autobahn on the RRs over the weekend. Both are excellent drivers in a well-prepped car. They have drive every kind of tire on that car–RA, Hoohoo, Kook, BFG. Here are the cliff notes of their impressions:

Lateral grip was equal to the Hoohoo, bfg, etc.
Grip under braking was equal to the RA
Tire was consistent (best lap was at 4:15)
Couldn’t comment on whether its up to temp as quick cause they didn’t have time to scrub it it to get the mold release off.
May take more camber than has been speculated here (ie more similar to the RA)
“Talks” like the RA and doesn’t fall off when abused like the RA.

I have a pic of the tire off the car after 4.5 hours and will post later.

[quote=“cosm3os” post=68542]Tire was consistent (best lap was at 4:15)
[/quote]
I’m hoping it was a 1:45. If not, I’m not sure I like the change. :sick: :lol:

Forgot to add they were definitely faster (on the order of the other tires mentioned). All this is backed up with data, not just butt dyno.

Pic:

That’s a lot of graining. Was that a front tire?

Looks like a new RA1 at MidOhio.

Rear, I think.

Thanks for posting this early RR reconnaissance. Any idea what the track temp was like? Any P or Q sessions before the enduro? Tire wear looks fantastic for a first run.

It was cool and sunny (low 70s). About 2 hours of the enduro is night. Here’s their full write up: http://944spec.org/944SPEC/forum/general/13733-initial-rr-tire-review

Excellent write up by the 944 guys. I’m looking forward to getting a set. Are they generally available yet?

Yes they are…

http://www.philstireservice.com/

There should be more testing info coming soon…:slight_smile:

Looks like typical RA-1 Shoulder wear! that is where we suffer with the RA-1’s

[quote=“philstireservice”]

There should be more testing info coming soon…:)[/quote]

You talking about Anthony at Ofest or something else?

[quote=“jlucas” post=68595][quote=“philstireservice”]

There should be more testing info coming soon…:)[/quote]

You talking about Anthony at Ofest or something else?[/quote]

Both

Here is my limited feedback on the RR (aka, the Pirate Tire).

Conditions: Dry, 70 degrees. Mid-Ohio Club Course.
Sticker tires, started 28 psi cold. -3.5 front camber, -2.7 rear camber.

Stacked up, the RRs are visually a bit wider than the RA-1.

Feedback from the tires was good. Better than RA-1s, regardless of build year.
Breakaway characteristics were smoother than RA-1 and they returned much more predictably, with less “snap” back. Generally easier to drive.

Running them on my car, I ran a 1:46.1 and a 1:46.3 when I finally had a couple laps of clean track. There were probably 5 laps before these 2 in traffic. An hour later, I drove Kish’s car on used BFG R1’s and did a 1:45.7. So, the R1 appeared to be roughly a half-second faster than a set of sticker Pirates.

The RRs felt better than RA-1s and seem notably quicker. I don’t know yet how they hold up over several heat cycles. Maybe they will get quicker after the first heat cycle.
Sorry, but I did not get tire temps during this test.

Thanks to Phil’s Tire Service for sending me these tires to the track on very short notice!

pirates. i love it.

suspicious of the fact that they are wider and every positive characteristic could be attributed to a wider tire. Last year 225/45/15 RA1 were about 13$ more but these are 20$ more because they don’t need shaving which only cost 15$.

So these are net $5 more than 205 RA1s but you’d rather have 225 RA1s that are net $13 more than 205 RA1s? Your logic escapes me.

I don’t believe all the advantages I’ve heard described can be attributed to what is probably 1/4" increased width.

The fact that these work out of the box at 4/32" makes me happy since the optimal shave seemed to be 3/32" on RA1s. These should cost 1/3 more since that’s how much more effective rubber depth you get. :wink:

That’s great IF the tire performs the same at 4/32’s as 1/32. If not, tire games again.

[quote=“Foglght” post=68633]That’s great IF the tire performs the same at 4/32’s as 1/32. If not, tire games again.[/quote]I’m not sure I understand your point. The tire will likely be very different 4/32 to 1/32 assuming the track isn’t so abrasive you get from 4 to 1 in a few heat cycles. Same as RA1s, same as Hoosiers.

If it is the same compound as the RA1 (which I understand it is), it should behave similarly with respect to fall-off after X heat cycles.

I still think there should be a rule banning shaving of the Pirates (not shaving of the privates - in case we get more women in the series :evil: ) to side-step some of those tire games.

You can ban it all you want and it won’t stop people from doing it.