Hoosiers?

Horrible idea, it would require constant testing of not just tires but shave depths and speed relative to heat cycles. You could also potentially be stuck with sub par tires if the latest and greatest changes. Also some might perform better or worse in the rain, how do we test that. You definitely need to just pick one tire.

You must not have seen the effort Ranger put into brake pad testing. :blink:

Matt

I’m assuming we’d be much faster on the SM6 than the RA1. If that holds true, we’ll be going through a lot more consumables (especially wheel bearings). Just a thought.

For this class it’s a bad idea… Hoosiers that is… Who keeps brining this up - you have a stake in Hoosier somehow?

[quote=“kgobey” post=59368]For this class it’s a bad idea… Hoosiers that is… Who keeps brining this up - you have a stake in Hoosier somehow?[/quote]Scroll up to the top of the first page and you can see who brought it up.:blink:

The context was SCCA SM’s decision (and they being the 800 pound gorilla in 205/50/15 race tires) to run Hoosiers in 2012. I thought it was logical to assume NASA SM would follow (doesn’t look likely, but discussions continue). Given that Spec E30 benefits from the wide availability of a common tire, I didn’t think it was such a bad idea. I’ve run the Hoosiers on a Spec E30, BTW. Have you? What’s your opinion based on?

Following Hoosier’s heat cycling recommendations, many racers find long life and consistent lap times. I have experience running HooHoos on a variety of cars (SM/ITA/SpecE30) in enduros and sprints. If you try to run them right out of the box all weekend, they go off after a few sessions.

Implying I have a business connection to Hoosier? Classy.:angry:

steve’s business connections are mainly with hookers, not hoosier. easy mistake.

steve’s business connections are mainly with hookers, not hoosier. easy mistake.[/quote]My wife knows how bad I am at sex. Why would I spread that news around further? :laugh:

[quote=“Steve D” post=59371][quote=“kgobey” post=59368]For this class it’s a bad idea… Hoosiers that is… Who keeps brining this up - you have a stake in Hoosier somehow?[/quote]Scroll up to the top of the first page and you can see who brought it up.:blink:

The context was SCCA SM’s decision (and they being the 800 pound gorilla in 205/50/15 race tires) to run Hoosiers in 2012. I thought it was logical to assume NASA SM would follow (doesn’t look likely, but discussions continue). Given that Spec E30 benefits from the wide availability of a common tire, I didn’t think it was such a bad idea. I’ve run the Hoosiers on a Spec E30, BTW. Have you? What’s your opinion based on?

Following Hoosier’s heat cycling recommendations, many racers find long life and consistent lap times. I have experience running HooHoos on a variety of cars (SM/ITA/SpecE30) in enduros and sprints. If you try to run them right out of the box all weekend, they go off after a few sessions.

Implying I have a business connection to Hoosier? Classy.:angry:[/quote]

Based on this!

I’ve been running SM6 since the beginning of the year in GTS1. I did one heat cycle as described by Hoosiers and let them sit only 12 hours. I ran them 5 race weekends, 8 races, most quals and some warm-up. I was amazed on how long they lasted, I did flip then about ½ through. They were defiantly not as good at the end then when they were new at the beginning of the year but better then new shaved RA1’s. I ran my new contingency won SM6’s at last event and they had tons of grip compaired to RA1’s even at a hot track. Everyone’s lap times will definitely drop when it’s dry but what will we do when it’s raining…
I’m not advocating change, just some insight!

Just in doing some “what if?” research and re-reading this thread here’s a few non-earth shattering conclusions I’ve come to:

Hoosiers should cost about the same as Toyos, since they don’t require shaving.

Hoosiers could potentially last longer if given proper treatment.

Performance would likely be unchanged, or at least ‘undamaged’.

BFG R1 is more costly but may last longer. However, it offers no rain alternative. A completely different tire for rain use would have to be found/tested/approved whereas Hoosier has a rain tire already selected.

Hoosier’s web site is chock full of useful information and gives me a warm fuzzy feeling that they actually care about us racers. Toyo is almost non-existent in it’s support by comparison.

Conclusion: yeah, I’d run Hoosiers and probably be happy about it. If they had their tire available in a 14" I’d toss some on bottlecaps and run them for some non-comp track days just to see what they are like. Not enough 15’s in my inventory to do that, unfortunately. (Totally unrelated observation of curiosity: nobody makes a Toyo-like treaded tire in 14". Guess these wheels are only good for hose reels.)

Pretty good summary, but don’t forget Hoosier also has an excellent contingency program for us as well. Lots of free tires!

Sorry I stirred this up. As it stands now, this is the mootest of all moot points. The information I am getting from the SM side is that NASA will be on Toyos in 2012.

Go spend your time and energy on something that can be accomplished - like getting your wife to prep your race car AND get a second job to pay for more racing.:laugh:

[quote=“Steve D” post=59371][quote=“kgobey” post=59368]For this class it’s a bad idea… Hoosiers that is… Who keeps brining this up - you have a stake in Hoosier somehow?[/quote]Scroll up to the top of the first page and you can see who brought it up.:blink:

Implying I have a business connection to Hoosier? Classy.:angry:[/quote]

:blush: Sorry I was out of line, just a sarcastic jibe on the interwebs, you don’t deserve to be at the recieving end of my foul mood. I however do deserve your angry response… (sarcasm alert) However, I know for a fact that tire based prostitution will get you in trouble with your Wife/gf!!! :whistle:

[quote=“Steve D” post=59380]Sorry I stirred this up. As it stands now, this is the mootest of all moot points. The information I am getting from the SM side is that NASA will be on Toyos in 2012.
[/quote]
True, but not too soon to start lobbying for something different in 2013 if that is when the contract with Toyo is up.

[quote=“ddavidv” post=59388][quote=“Steve D” post=59380]Sorry I stirred this up. As it stands now, this is the mootest of all moot points. The information I am getting from the SM side is that NASA will be on Toyos in 2012.
[/quote]
True, but not too soon to start lobbying for something different in 2013 if that is when the contract with Toyo is up.[/quote]

Agreed, I’d like to lobby for a faster tire with a stiffer sidewall. I have done a lot of back to back tire testing and the toyos are just not up to the level that the faster DOT-R tires are.

[quote=“JonnyAction” post=59457][quote=“ddavidv” post=59388][quote=“Steve D” post=59380]Sorry I stirred this up. As it stands now, this is the mootest of all moot points. The information I am getting from the SM side is that NASA will be on Toyos in 2012.
[/quote]
True, but not too soon to start lobbying for something different in 2013 if that is when the contract with Toyo is up.[/quote]

Agreed, I’d like to lobby for a faster tire with a stiffer sidewall. I have done a lot of back to back tire testing and the toyos are just not up to the level that the faster DOT-R tires are.[/quote]
What use is a faster tire?

I’d lobby for a tire that is cheaper to run.

I’d vote for one that has more consistent wear.

[quote=“Ranger” post=59463][quote=“JonnyAction” post=59457][quote=“ddavidv” post=59388][quote=“Steve D” post=59380]Sorry I stirred this up. As it stands now, this is the mootest of all moot points. The information I am getting from the SM side is that NASA will be on Toyos in 2012.
[/quote]

Agreed, I’d like to lobby for a faster tire with a stiffer sidewall. I have done a lot of back to back tire testing and the toyos are just not up to the level that the faster DOT-R tires are.[/quote]
What use is a faster tire?

I’d lobby for a tire that is cheaper to run.[/quote]

It seems like the r6 or something similar would be almost the same price as the current Toyo’s. If we are talking same price I think faster is better. Kish probably has the right idea to vote for the most consistent tire. Either way has anyone found me a rust free two-door donor chassis yet?

Whereabouts are you looking? talk to levent@gutenparts.com, I am sure he can find you a chassis.

As long as that comes with consistent performance too. I could care less about how “fast” our tires are.
My problem with the 2011 compounding of Toyo’s is you have to waste a weekend getting the tires up to speed.

As long as that comes with consistent performance too. I could care less about how “fast” our tires are.
My problem with the 2011 compounding of Toyo’s is you have to waste a weekend getting the tires up to speed.[/quote]

agree.