The Sydistik Ind. Spec E30 build

What I’m building off of is a 1988 325 super eta.
Right now there is basically nothing done to it and the head is off of the stock 2.7l that’s in it, so I can’t even drive it.

Here’s how it sits currently:

Anyone know of any good running M20B25’s for sale?
If I had a running engine in it, I would probably be more inclined to build it for SE30 faster. Right now most of my car money goes into my DSM build, E46 daily driver, and A4 winter beater.

I could also use a rear diff eventually, but the one I have now is good till I start racing it.

I research too many cars so I can’t remember. Are there differences in M20B25’s between all the different years they were made?

Coolant system is different early to late. That means the water pump, radiator, a “pipe” that goes across the engine, and the reservoir. Not a big deal tho. There’s ways to mix and match all that stuff.

Some say that early and late harnesses have a subtle difference.

Really early harness have a separate connector for each injector instead of an “electrical rail”.

I think that’s it for differences.

Engine. http://spece30.com/classifieds/3-drive-train/564-engine

Thanks for the info.
According to Wiki, pre 87’s have higher compression and less hp & tq.
Have you guys seen an actual performance difference on the race track between the older and newer versions?

I can’t afford a $2000 engine for it right now. Looking for something a bit cheaper.

Zach, well find a motor and diff for ya.

[quote=“imagine02” post=70338]Thanks for the info.
Have you guys seen an actual performance difference on the race track between the older and newer versions?
[/quote]
You’re confusing yourself.

I don’t know where you saw that info but maybe the reference to pre-'87 is either a 325e or the '85-'86 euro 325i. The US market 325i’s have no performance difference because no one wins the drag race to the next corner because of which side your coolant reservoir is on.

I’m pretty sure that the 325i’s for the US market were introduced in '87. That would mean that some of them were built in the last quarter of '86.

That would be awesome!

[quote=“Ranger” post=70342][quote=“imagine02” post=70338]Thanks for the info.
[/quote]
You’re confusing yourself.

I don’t know where you saw that info but maybe the reference to pre-'87 is either a 325e or the '85-'86 euro 325i. The US market 325i’s have no performance difference because no one wins the drag race to the next corner because of which side your coolant reservoir is on.

I’m pretty sure that the 325i’s for the US market were introduced in '87. That would mean that some of them were built in the last quarter of '86.[/quote]

Wiki didn’t specify if it was referring to just US or all countries about the compression and hp differences.
I read the pre 87 thing on some forum when I was doing a google search. Both sources aren’t very credible. haha

I can’t spend a whole lot on an engine right now. Maybe $500 at the most.
I’m starting a new job soon though, so in a couple months I could probably afford a rebuilt one.

Still looking for a good running engine.
Cash in hand!

No longer need an engine.
Picked up a parts car yesterday.

89 325i
Auto transmission. I think that means it has a 4.10 LSD, so I still need an LSD for SE30.
Supposedly has a rebuilt head and the timing belt was replaced.
Body is pretty rusty. Otherwise I might have used this one for SE30.

Awesome wing and I rocked those Borbets on my Corrado back in the day!

I didn’t really pay attention to what the wheels actually were until I got it home. They are the right size for SE30, so that’s nice. Not sure on the offset yet though.
I plan on ripping the engine out soon. So far I got as far as taking the hood off. haha

I’m in need of a single mass flywheel.

I have the donor engine pulled and am in the process of installing new timing components. Should be dropping it in pretty soon. Can’t wait to finally drive this car again! It’s been at least 4 years.

You need to compare the pin out on the round connector on the firewall against the later model car wiring. The automatic car used a different pin for the ABS and the change can be made in the chassis harness rubber cover if necessary. The easy button will be to switch the ols motor harness to the new motor.

Thanks, I wasn’t aware of that.

Picked up a good used single mass flywheel.
Now I need the front engine lift bracket that bolts behind the timing belt cover. Anyone know the actual name for that part or know the part number?

There’s a place on ebay with a bunch that they’ve cleaned up. I believe they were about $700

Ray

[quote=“imagine02” post=73855]Thanks, I wasn’t aware of that.

Picked up a good used single mass flywheel.
Now I need the front engine lift bracket that bolts behind the timing belt cover. Anyone know the actual name for that part or know the part number?[/quote]

Send me $5 to cover shipping and I’ll send you one. Paypal scott (at) gress (dot) org

Thanks!

I’ve been working on the E30 a lot lately. Nothing I feel that’s picture worthy though.
Installed the 4.10 LSD from my parts car, new wheel studs, new 15mm spacers (puts the wheels at et15), new exedy oem clutch, Yoko S drive tires, and a bunch of maintenance things.

I’m hoping to have it ready to rock for the last local auto cross this year. Little over 2 weeks away.

I’m not sure what to do about some of the differing components.

In this picture I have the I intake elbow and seta brake booster in the car.
[URL=http://s102.photobucket.com/user/imagine-02/media/IMG_20131012_1746442.jpg.html][/URL]

The I intake elbow has a port on it leading to the line from the brake booster, which then leads to the 2 throttle body ports on the right side.

The seta intake elbow does not have this port. The seta also doesn’t have a split line from the brake booster, so it only uses the bottom port on the throttle body.

Can I just plug the top port on the throttle body and the port on the intake elbow, so they aren’t being used?

Does this line lead to the port on the underside of the throttle body?
[URL=http://s102.photobucket.com/user/imagine-02/media/IMG_20131012_1746072.jpg.html][/URL]

How do you get the CSB off the drive-shaft? I have the 2 halves separated and the retaining clip removed. I just can’t get the CSB to slide off the shaft.