Whose building a car in NE right now?

bodeecat wrote:

Any help I can get. I’m certainly not a ‘mechanic’, but I am mechanically inclined. I try to get my wife to help, but she works full time and is taking some college courses, so isn’t available most the time. I have too many of questions and need guidance. My biggest obstacle is the fear is doing something incorrectly, then having to go back and do it again.

I was at WGI last Oct. for the Nasa ‘Thunder at the Glen’ and hopefully will be there this year too. (Oct. 2, 3 & 4) At this time, I am scheduled to be there Aug 25 & 26 for a BMWCCA Driving School. Really looking forward to getting back there.

Didn’t see any SE30 racers last year, but there were a few E30s doing DE. Actually, Bob Shields from NC was my instructor that day…and a top notch instructor he was. There was also a pink e30 there if I recall correctly.

WGI is an absolute BLAST!!! I suggest you go if you haven’t been there. You won’t be disappointed. I cannot imagine that there is a better track on the east coast…BAR NONE! We should get together and head up there. Where are you located? It takes me about 2.5 hours, towing my vehicle.[/quote]

Joe, i am in North Jersey about 45m due east from Pocono in Rt-80. So about 4hrs to WGI. Yeah i love WGI, in fact I’m heading up there this weekend with NNJR PCA for 3 days. It’s up there with VIR on my favs list.

What’s left on your build list? We should do a NE Spec E30 build day :slight_smile:

secu wrote:

[quote]Definitely can’t wait til you guys are out there racing. If anyone needs a hand with anything let me know and I’ll help out, I’m in north jersey. I think a lot of us in the NE aren’t spread too far from each other, so there should always be someone nearby to help, give advice, etc.

Like others already said, we go to WGI and it is awesome. I missed last years event (Pantas from the SE was the pink E30 I think), but was there the year before and should be there again this year. With the glen, LRP and the 2 tracks at NJMP, the NE has some of the better tracks and facilities available to us, just need the car counts to match. Hopefully, future schedules don’t conflict so much and more MA guys will come up to NJMP or maybe even the glen.[/quote]

Agree. I think we have it pretty good tracks wise. SPR isn’t too far either, only 4hrs. Planning to drop down there and run with MA too.

Kish,
It’s easier to tell you what is not left on my build list. I’m actually just getting started. The M3 needed some attention, i.e. engine mounts, tranny mounts, radiator, alternator, discs, brakes etc. Without it, I cannot continue doing DEs in order to get myself to a level where I am ready to do the comp school.

Where in NNJ? I’m about 40 mins Northeast of Pocono. drop me an email so we can discuss build list and a possible build day.

I have one in the works, but like bodeecat, my “completed” list is much smaller than my “to-do” list.

I was at WGI for Thunder at the Glen last year too. I was driving my Blue Subaru STi in Group 1. I seem to remember talking with a silver M3 owner up there, bodeecat was that you?

I was only able to make it out to one 2-day event with PCA this year (in the STi). The goal is to have the car ready for HPDE next season. I’m hoping to race in 2011, but it might be 2012.

Yep, that was me. I was in Group 1 then, too. Just started doing DEs last year. I’m in Grp 2 now and hope to be in group 3 by Thunder event on Oct. I see you are in Williamsport, not too far from me.

If there was a decent partially built car out there, I would jump all over it and finish it myself.

hurry with those builds guys :slight_smile: mine will be done this winter even if i have to beg, borrow or steal :slight_smile: I think I got one more guy in NJ to finish his build too… i think we’re going to send both cars to deerson for the cages once the season is done.

Bringing this back from the summer.

Where’s everyone stand with the builds? Anyone need a hand getting stuff done for next year?

The off season is somehow too short and too long at the same time. :laugh:

The car goes to the cage builder in the next week or so…The suspension is done, calipers rebuilt, brake lines changed, interior stripped, seat mounted and motor comes out this weekend.

I still need to source wheels, gauges, brake pads, cut off switch, crank scraper and some little bits.

I hope to have it completed by the end of March and test in April/May.

In addition, my good friend and race partner Mike Fonte’s car will be done by spring as well. That’s two more for NE:)

Heard there are two cars at Stickleys’ right now getting built. Two new guys, but not sure if they are MA or NE…

Kill switch, stickers, comp license and I’m good to go!

shell is coming back from paul end of Jan. Starting on the following next week:

• engine head rebuild
  • refresh all seals
  • rebuild rear (subframe + bushings, rebuilt calipers, wheel bearings, weld on toe/camber kit)
  • bolt together front struts including wheel bearings, camber plates, reinforcements.
  • rebuilt driveshaft from portland driveline
  • refresh diff seals, fluid

I am not Sure When I will be racing Spec e30.

I will have the car Competition Ready by March~April, but it might not be Spec E30 legal by then. I am looking to Hit some SCCA schools and then also get my NASA license.

The weather needs to warm up before I can get back to work on the car.

Mine is just about ready for the cage. Who is doing your cages? What price?
I managed to find a decent, totally rust free car that originated from the SW US. It had alot of the work done/parts replaced. Has IE rear toe & camber kit already installed. Took a chance on that so I was really hoping that rule change came through! :woohoo:

Still need to do the following:

• cage
  • Swaybars; likely going with IE kit.
  • rear wheel bearings
  • fire system
  • wheels & tires
  • misc items i.e. guages, mirror, etc.

Not sure if it will be spec e30 legal for the beginning of the year, but hope to be race ready to do comp school this year. Schedule shows only one comp school at NJMP end of May. Will there be another added? I was hopin to do comp school at Pocono North.

Paul Poore is doing mine. Call him (267-374-8365) for a quote.

Joe,

You need to get on the schedule of a cage builder. This is their busy time and many will not be able to fit you in their schedule for a few months.

Things are looking good for next year :slight_smile:

Dan, what sort of things do you think you won’t have ready for SE30 legality?

Joe, Paul is probably the closest/easiest for you cage wise, but if he’s too busy give Dave Deerson a call (732) 257-2664. He’s in central jersey, so not TOO far away. Not sure what his schedule is looking like though.

As of now, I think all of the comp schools are scheduled to be at NJMP Lightning, that could change though.

sean, i called deerson and he said he wasn’t doing any cages this winter because he was backlogged with other work.

Sean,

Really the only thing that is holding me back from being Spec legal is sway bars, exhaust, and tires. Not big things, just have to finish the competition stuff first

I have to Mount the fire suppression, Seat, harness, all the stickers. Not that much to do, but with my travel schedule and this weather things are moving pretty slow. Sucks not having a garage in the winter.

I have a guy locally here in NEPA, but I have to check him out thoroughly first. He was recommended by a shop that used to do all types of cages, but got out of cage building for some reason. Although he hasn’t done a spec E30 cage, he has done other trypes of cars, including road racers, circle track and drag. I gave him the NASA CCRs and some pics. He came to my house to look at the car and gave me a price, which was very reasonable. He has all the equipment required, including pipe benders, although I could just get a kirk cage and have him install it. What do you guys think?

ps. Do these guys remove and replace the dash too or do you have to do that prior to cage installation?

we stripped my car down to a rolling shell but i’m sure they will remove the dash for an added fee. I’d go with the custom cage over the kirk kit.